Where you fit in?
Shell Information Technology International is the IT power hub that provides the information technology capability for all of Shell’s businesses. Projects & Technology Service Operations Management (P&T SOM) provides specialized IT services for Shells Shell Exploration and Production (E&P) data management disciplines including Subsurface Technologies that includes image interpretation, Geographic Information Systems, Well Data Management, Petroleum and Reservoir engineering, etc. Shell is moving towards a cloud native technology with state-of-the-art solutions to enable our vision to remain a market leader in the Energy business. As an Energy company, Shell is therefore investing in cloud native technologies for a sustainable future for the company and society.
Why we’re hiring?
We are hiring because our Shell Projects & Technology Service Operation Management (P&T SOM) is key to supporting the global infrastructure for Technical Professionals in Shell Exploration and Production (E&P). It includes GIS (Geographic Information Systems) specific back-end services for the global Shell Geomatics community, which are provided by virtual teams located in the USA, Netherlands and India. We’re looking for a candidate to strengthen the team to work on cloud native technologies, operational support for cloud environments, service improvements and DevOps project related activities.
Subsurface IT Services provide support to geo-scientists, petroleum engineers, subsurface data managers and subsurface operations covering the full lifecycle of the Oil & Gas business. Shell’s Exploration & Production (E&P) data managers are currently using an extensive portfolio of Subsurface Applications to support the integrated management and delivery of corporate data for use in subsurface and Petro technical applications both in house solutions and vendor applications.
The Subsurface & Wells (SSW) Services team consists of professional staff operating in various locations with current main hub locations in Houston in the United States and Rijswijk in the Netherlands with a substantial component of IT support delivered as Managed Services from Bangalore. The Cloud Native Engineer will be responsible for the deployment, support and evergreen Shell’s cloud ecosystem with strong focus on Subsurface technology. The subsurface technology covers covering all Technical Data Management of wells bore data management, wells master manager, sub surface data universe based on the cloud technology like Terraform, Kubernetes, Jenkins, Docker, etc. This workload will include managing, planning, architecting, and monitoring of cloud systems as a Cloud Site Reliability Engineer (SRE). Once the applications are deployed, day to day support of the applications will also remain on the responsibility of the engineer. It also includes knowing and implementing the best practices for deploying Subsurface Applications (both Shell developed and vendor software) to the AWS cloud.
- Designing, planning, sizing and deploying Subsurface Applications on the AWS cloud
- Migrating on-premise applications of the organization to the cloud
- Identifying potential bottlenecks in applications’ performance through appropriate troubleshooting.
- Strategizing a recovery plan to compensate for possible downtime or failure scenarios
- Maintaining data integrity by implementing proper access control for cloud services
- Identifying the best practices of cloud architecture to support applications
- Using their programming knowledge like bash, python, PowerShell, etc to write deployment automations for server-less applications
- Automating Subsurface Application workflows to AWS
- Understanding the application life cycle and utilizing APIs
- Identifying and using appropriate cloud services like SAML Ping Identity, DNS, Network, S3 technology etc. to support applications on the cloud
- IT service management and support for the global Technical Data Management (TDM) end-user community. Understanding of key cloud technologies based on AWS.
- Act as interface between customers and Cloud infrastructure support groups
- Plan and execute in Cloud backend ever greening activities (release management & deployment, security patches, application upgrades).
- On boarding (technical, support model, finance) of new projects and functionality into the operational service.
- Contribute to successful IT project delivery within agreed time and budget.
- Communicate changes and influence stakeholders to align on Shell Cloud and IT strategy
- Subsurface IT technology is highly technical with automation at the heart of delivery. The functional scope of the IT service is challenging. Managing services under these conditions require specialized tools, skills and knowledge.
- Understanding DevOps culture, working and collaborating in a Virtual team.
- Managing expectations of end-users and stakeholder by providing 2nd/3rd Line application support for Shell’s subsurface customers.