Location: Sacramento, CA
The Senior Systems Engineer provides leadership and overall guidance for the selection, design, implementation and on-going operation of client processing and storage environments. The position is responsible for planning and coordinating the design, installation and operational support of the infrastructure components necessary to ensure stable operation and performance. This includes engaging with other infrastructure staff, development staff and/or consultants in developing, configuring, maintaining, supporting and optimizing infrastructure systems and associated components.
- Relies on experience and judgment to perform the functions of the job and accomplish goals. Consistently and effectively applies knowledge and expertise to perform complex assignments autonomously and with proficiency. Works with minimal supervision; using a wide-degree of creativity and latitude.
- Works tirelessly to create a workplace culture that is consistent with the organizations and that emphasizes the identified mission, vision, guiding principles and values of the organization.
- Maintains transparent communication. Appropriately communicating information through team meetings, and appropriate email, IM and regular interpersonal and professional communication.
- Serves as the backbone of the team; establishes common goals, sets up work sessions and holds meetings to foster continued attention on goal advancement.
- Fosters a spirit of teamwork and unity among team members that allows for disagreement over ideas, conflict and expeditious conflict resolution, and the appreciation of diversity as well as cohesiveness, supportiveness and working effectively together.
- Provides a source of creative energy; continuously thinks about and introduces new concepts and fresh ideas to maintain forward-moving energy.
- Injects a sense of pragmatism and levelheadedness for the team, conducts reality checks when needed, to help the team succeed and work proactively.
- Delegates the responsibilities (tasks, duties and/or obligations) for which team members will be accountable when they assume, or are assigned to, a role on a project or team.
- Brings a can-do attitude that can keep the team on track to accomplish goals, even amid the toughest and most difficult times, and maintains the overall morale and productivity of the group.
- Facilitates discussions and brainstorming for ideas to improve the efficient functioning of the team and precisely logs and disseminates essential information regarding the results of these activities.
- Is a service excellence advocate; cultivates relationships external to the team, networks with other teams and uses diplomacy to achieve win-win solutions.
- Drives the team to meet the organization's expectations for productivity, quality and goal accomplishment.
Provides technical direction and support to members of the Infrastructure Platform Administration team.
- Defines technology priorities and develops long-term strategies to manage and scale the services provided by the Infrastructure Platform Administration team.
- Offers effective performance feedback regarding team member performance using mentorship, oversight and monitoring to ensure consistency, accuracy, productivity and adherence to responsiveness goals.
- Provides 24x7 on-call technical support for infrastructure related emergencies, when not in the office, and a response time of no more than four-hours to these types of events.
- Adjusts work schedule when required to support off-hours infrastructure services (e.g. month-end processing support, routine system maintenance tasks and application code deployments).
- Creates roadmaps, architectural, process, standards documents and governance documents.
- Plans and implements infrastructure systems that fulfill the mission and goals of the department efficiently and effectively.
- Allocates resources to effectively staff and accomplish the work to meet departmental productivity and quality goals.
- Develops, implements and maintains infrastructure systems configurations, procedures and associated training plans.
- Evaluates and improves the efficiency of processes and procedures to enhance speed, quality, efficiency and output. Decomposes large systems into subsystems, components and service threads.
- Delivers technology proposals and recommendations that are financially responsible, accountable, justifiable and defensible in accordance with organization policies and procedures.
- Manages the preparation and maintenance of reports necessary to carry out the functions of the Systems administration operation. Prepares periodic reports for management, as necessary or requested, to track strategic goal accomplishment.
- Defines and reviews reports to ensure all Infrastructure services are completely and successfully delivered; proactively intervenes to correct problems when they are encountered.
- Communicates regularly and effectively with other managers, IT department leadership and other designated stakeholders within the organization.
- Creates RFPs, bid proposals, contracts, scope of work reports and other documentation for Infrastructure projects and associated efforts.
- Prepares infrastructure systems technology roadmaps based on an understanding of the organizational strategic requirements, technology context and business needs.
- Engages in on-going professional development to maintain professional skills and knowledge essential to the position.
- Performs other duties and/or responsibilities, as assigned.
Experience: Expert knowledge and technical understanding of the design, implementation and continued operation of physical and virtual Windows Server administration/management, platform and storage technologies; professional certifications (an advanced degree with 5-10 years of related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience in lieu of professional certifications) are advantageous and strongly desired. Advanced knowledge and experience in managing and delivering complex infrastructure projects that involve vendor(s), business users and internal IT team(s) working together collectively to deliver results. Minimum 5-7 years of experience with technologies, controls and processes; combining analysis, design, implementation and support.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree preferred; a combination of additional certifications / experience may be used in lieu of a degree.
- Language: Ability to read and interpret documents such as laws, regulations, security standards, safety rules, operating/maintenance instructions and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
- Math: Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
- Reasoning: Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
- Computer: Advanced knowledge of Microsoft word processing software; Microsoft spreadsheet software; and be proficient on applicable network, systems and vendor software programs.
- Technical: Expert in the technologies used to deliver and manage infrastructure environments. Advanced ability to document and convey technical information and provide technical guidance to stakeholders, regarding operations, system performance, workflow analysis, inventory and file management. Technical expertise needs to encompass, and be demonstrated across, the following technical dimensions:
- Expert ability to configure, install/management and troubleshoot: Server/Computing Hardware (Dell), Hypervisor Technologies (Vmware), Operating Systems (Windows Server), Storage Technologies (Dell, HP/Nimble) and Backup Technologies (Veeam/Symantec)
- Expert ability to configure and manage Active Directory; including promoting/demoting controllers, managing Active Directory DNS, FSMO roles, etc.
- A strong understanding of Performance Tuning and Optimization (PTO), using native monitoring and third party tools (e.g. Solarwinds)
- Experience handing relationships with MSPs ( Managed Service Providers)
- Knowledge of High Availability (HA) and Disaster Recovery (DR) options for Infrastructure Operations and Management.
- Adept at utilizing monitoring tools to capture and analyze system performance metrics, capacity planning metrics, maintain uptime, generate usage reports and spot trends.
- Strong Ability to effectively manage scope and customer expectations on individual assignments.
- 5-10 years of related experience.
- Advanced knowledge and experience in managing and delivering complex network projects.
- Minimum 5 years of experience with network technologies, controls and processes; combining analysis, design, implementation.
- Provide emergency support to the production environment.
- Provides technical direction and support to members of the Network Administration team
- Evaluate, troubleshoot and optimize existing solutions.
- Proactively monitor network resources and perform capacity planning using traffic management and NMS system.
- Install, configure and manage IP networks in production environment.
- Accurately perform all procedures to ensure compliance with corporate and regulatory standards.
Cell: (732) 609-2156
- Employee Referral Program
- Life Insurance
- Medical, Dental and Vision