7 REASONS TO CHOOSE ARMANINO TAX
- BETTER BALANCE, MORE FLEXIBILITY
- Our goal isn’t to load you up with as much work as possible, it’s to give you flexibility while also helping you develop as a Tax Professional, and to ultimately serve our clients well.
- We expect each individual to contribute, but offer flexibility to find balance with your personal schedule.
- WE OPERATE JUST LIKE A STARTUP
- We refuse to adopt a culture of unnecessary bureaucracy; innovation and agility remain at our core.
- If you’re a strong performer, you’ll be promoted quickly and rewarded accordingly.
- Our depth of tax knowledge and experience will help you decide where you choose to specialize.
- YOU’LL WORK WITH TECH CLIENTS THAT DEFINE THE INDUSTRY
- We work closely with the Silicon Valley companies that are changing the world, from small startups to large, multinational public entities.
- You’ll get broader experience as we work with different companies in various stages of development.
- WORK CLOSELY WITH PARTNERS AND DIRECTORS
- We have an open door policy; our Partners and Directors are heavily involved in the mentoring and training of our tax professionals.
- Our Partners and Directors are also contributors when it comes to performing the work, unlike the Big 4.
- DIRECT CONTACT WITH CLIENT EXECUTIVES
- We work closely with the CFOs, VPs of Finance, and Controllers
- FAST TRACK TO TAX MANAGER
- We don’t have bureaucratic barriers to advancement. All promotions are merit based.
- There’s no “up and out” mentality. We’re continuously growing, which means immense opportunities for growth at a quicker pace.
- FOCUS MORE ON CLIENT SERVICE AND LESS ON ADMINISTRATIVE TASKS
- We work with clients who truly need our help and therefore value what we do.
- Our clients get a more hands-on approach from Managers and Partners.
- We don’t dictate how you serve clients and where you should be spending your time.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
As a Senior Tax Associate, you will perform assigned tasks within technical areas of a project to assist in the completion of client service work. You are responsible for knowing and understanding the Firm’s service approach, professional requirements, and lines of business. Additional responsibilities include:
- Review of Corporate returns, extensions and quarterly estimates
- Prepare and review tax provisions
- Involvement in special tax projects, including international tax structuring, state issue analysis, credit computations, and stock option related matters
- Manage, mentor, and develop others
- Strategic tax planning and research of international, federal and local issues
- Develop administrative, professional and interpersonal skills to better service clients
- Expand technical skills in a variety of tax areas
- Manage time efficiently, meet appropriate charge hour goals and accurately describe work performed
- Communicate complex tax issues to non-tax professionals and clients
- Handle multiple tasks simultaneously with minimal supervision
WHAT YOU'LL NEED
- Bachelors Degree in Accounting, Tax, Finance or related discipline
- 2+ years US public accounting experience preparing corporate tax returns
- Strong interpersonal and relationship building skills
- Strong project management skills
- Experience in supervising the work of others, including delegation, training and development of staff and interns.
- Experience in maintain great relationships with clients, understand their unique needs to provide a tailored service
- Technical proficiency in tax software applications including GoSystems and Excel
- Strong research, writing and analytical skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- CPA certification preferred
HOW TO APPLY
If you’re up for the challenge and this is something you would like to consider, please apply online using the ‘Apply Now’ button at the top of the page.
Our interview process normally consists of:
- A phone interview with one of our Rockstar Recruiters
- 1-2 rounds of on-site interviews with the Hiring Team
- Offers usually go out within 24-48 hours of your interviews
Q&A WITH ARMANINO CORPORATE SENIOR TAX MANAGER, MARIE LACORTE
On April 1, 2017, I had the following discussion with Marie LaCorte about Armanino Tax and the opportunity you’re interested in.
What is Armanino’s culture like in the San Jose office?
“We have a very fun and relaxed environment in the San Jose office. Based on my personal experiences, we’re more approachable than a Big 4 accounting firm.
Firms talk about having an open door policy, but we truly have it. Our staff are nurtured and taken care of. There’s easy access to Managers, Directors, and Partners as they’re heavily involved in mentoring and training.
We’re also committed to being a family-oriented office and offer more flexibility with your schedule as you grow with the firm. You obviously have to openly communicate your outside commitments for the firm to make accommodations, as it is our intention for everyone to be successful.
We’ve grown a lot over the past decade and with the change in dress code (jeans every day!) I’d say it’s relatively informal but still very professional.”
Why is this a good opportunity for a Tax Senior coming from the Big 4 or a regional firm?
“We’re modeled very similarly to a Big 4 Silicon Valley tax practice. If someone is looking to work on tech companies at all stages in the business life cycle, or consult on tax provision and special projects, we are exactly the same as the Big 4 in that sense. What separates us from the Big 4 is the culture and the environment.
Once you’ve proven yourself and have a reliable reputation, you do have a lot more flexibility and the opportunity to take on more responsibility at a lower level. We’re smaller than the Big 4 and we don’t have the specialty group bandwidth, so that gives you an immense opportunity to learn, grow, and take on more challenging and diverse work.
We allow you to grow at your own pace, there’s no “up or out” mentality. Our Tech Tax team does a good job at identifying strengths and weakness of each individual, allowing us to better tailor engagements and development to each specific person.
We also take into consideration what each person wants to do. There are multiple pathways that allow each person to decide where they want to spend their time and what type of tax they’d like to specialize in.”
Why do you enjoy working for Armanino?
“I’m coming up on my 10 year anniversary. I’ve seen amazing growth and experienced all the growing pains that come with growth, but throughout that entire time, I’ve always felt like “I want to go to work”. Armanino has always held its same core values and I think that’s rare among other firms.
What the Partnership has done over the past decade is incredible and that’s something I really respect. We’re consistently innovating and moving in a positive direction.”
What will this person’s future look like at Armanino and what are a few of the most important intangibles they need to have, in order to be successful in this position?
“Whatever they want it to be. If it’s someone coming in who wants make Manager/Partner, hit the ground running, find out what it takes to get to that level then do it! If you have different goals or priorities you really have the opportunity to set boundaries but still build a reputation that you are a reliable professional. Success is defined by each person, but I would say we are looking for someone 1) with intellectual curiosity, who wants to continuously learn and teach, 2) who is a team player in all respects, with clients, peers and staff, who wants to make the firm better, and 3) with a positive attitude and energy, someone willing to tackle challenges and solve problems.”
WHY A SENIOR MANAGER CHOSE ARMANINO TAX
“I started my career at one of the Big 4 firms, it was for a very short period of time after I graduated college. The culture and environment were very intimidating as a brand new staff person.
I quickly realized that, even though I was driven and hardworking, the Big 4 structure wasn’t for me, similar to what many others feel.
When I interviewed at Armanino it was a culture shock, but in a good way. It was the complete opposite of what I was used to. I’ve been here 10 years now and have never once regretted my decision to leave the Big 4.”
Armanino LLP provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Armanino LLP complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Armanino LLP expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Armanino LLP’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
For positions based in San Francisco, consistent with the SF Fair Chance Ordinance, an arrest and conviction record will not automatically disqualify a qualified applicant from consideration.