Job Summary and Scope:
The overall objectives of this position are to:
- Ensure compliance with US Federal, state and local tax laws, reporting requirements and tax payment requirements for the Company.
- Adequately support Department leadership in completing projects under all assigned areas of tax compliance, planning, financial reporting, IRS and state audit defense.
- Prepare all federal, state, and local income tax reporting and related workpapers including: the consolidated return, ASC 740 tax provision calculations, estimated payments, extension calculations, amended returns, Earnings & Profit calculations, purchase accounting, net operating losses, tax basis balance sheets, subsidiary basis calculations, acquisition related disclosures, estimates for the income tax provision, account reconciliations, analysis and journal entries.
- Work with the Tax Technology Manager to develop and maintain information reporting tools to facilitate the download of state and local apportionment information into the tax preparation software.
- Assist in defending the Company’s tax positions during IRS and state audits and in responding to IRS/state notices.
- Prepare projections of regular taxable income, alternative minimum taxable income, and earnings & profits. Prepare forecasts of worldwide cash taxes. Maintain projections models used for tax planning purposes.
- Document the Company’s positions with regard to income tax exposures (FIN 48). Update quarterly and prepare related journal entries and supporting documentation.
- Work with the Fixed Asset Department to provide technical expertise, interpretation and application of tax law with regard to Fixed Assets in designing systems, policies and tax positions. Ensure the depreciation and gain/loss on the retirement of assets is calculated properly for tax purposes on a quarterly basis (regular tax, state, AMT, E&P, etc.). Develop and maintain a tax fixed asset guide, providing training as necessary, communicating law changes, and troubleshooting issues related to both the correct treatment of assets and system limitations.
- Assist Business Advisory team with M&A work, Treasury guidance, tax attribute tracking, executive compensation issues, and drafting of Company tax policies as necessary.
- Assist International team with Federal international compliance, local country compliance monitoring, transfer pricing, provision calculations and various other international issues as necessary.
Qualifications / Knowledge & Experience:
- Education: Minimum requirements include a Bachelors Degree in Accounting with CPA certificate. A Masters of Tax preferred.
- Experience: At least 3 years experience in a Big 4 tax department with 4-5 years preferred.
- Skills and Demonstrated Behaviors:
- Sound knowledge of accounting principles and corporate tax law required as well as effective research, writing and analytical skills. Excellent computer systems skills including experience with accounting and tax software
- Able to deliver results, often under tight deadlines.
- Must be a solid team player and demonstrate the ability to work effectively in a collaborative environment across functional areas. Instills trust necessary for teamwork through direct and truthful interactions.
- Must be able to work in a matrix organization.
- Is able to identify and create processes necessary to complete a specific assignment or goal. Good communication and interpersonal skills as well as patience are required.
- Is action oriented and takes the initiative, manages upward, willing to take on multiple assignments and multitask, as well as maintain focus.
Working Conditions/Physical Requirement:
- Position Requires Travel as necessary but less than 20%.
- This position has the authority to make initial technical decisions subject to review by the Tax Managers with respect to assigned areas within federal, state, and international tax law and related audits.
- There are no direct reports to this position.
Veritiv is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. Individuals seeking employment are considered without regards to race, ethnicity, color, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, age, disability, gender identity or expression, genetic information, national origin, protected veteran status or any other classification protected by law. Additionally, Veritiv will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with Veritiv’s legal duty to furnish information. If you would like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant, please click here: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf