Sargent & Lundy provides comprehensive consulting, engineering, design, and analysis for electric power generation and power delivery projects worldwide. With a highly experienced staff solely dedicated to the energy business, we have the ability and know-how to take on the smallest tasks as well as the largest projects.
Our Electrical Grid Infrastructure Services business unit currently has an opportunity for an Senior Telecommunications Engineer in its Chattanooga, Tennessee office.
- This position offers the opportunity to develop the design for telecommunication systems for protective relaying and control of high voltage substation electrical equipment. This work would be performed in a project team environment with other engineers and designers involved in the detailed electrical design of utility high voltage substation projects.
- You will take an active role in project conceptualization, work planning, and project execution.
- You will work on challenging assignments that include investigating and solving a wide variety of telecommunications engineering issues.
- Prepare reports and studies that present technical and project information in a clear and concise manner and meet client requirements and S&L formats.
- Develop your career via peer-learning through sharing of knowledge with other experienced engineers by way of S&L's systems of process and associated "Communities of Practice."
- In addition, you may have the opportunity to travel to client sites as needed.
Dependent upon your location, this opportunity offers a generous relocation package.
We do not sponsor employees for work authorization in the U.S. for this position.
Essential skills and experience:
- A BSEE degree from an ABET-accredited engineering program with a strong academic background and coursework in telecommunications is required.
- Five or more years of experience in the telecommunications area, preferably related to telecommunications associated with protective relaying systems in high voltage electrical utility substations. Experience should include work with fiber optic systems, substation network / LANs, SCADA, mircrowave radio, T1 / DS0 communications and associated telecommunications equipment.
- Knowledge of protective relaying systems is preferred.
- Familiarity with ANSI / IEEE/ NEMA standards as they relate to substation design. This includes the National Electrical Safety Code (ANSI - C2).
- Ability to prioritize work and manage multiple projects under budget and time constraints.
- Experience tracking project information such as: schedules and expenditures against budgets, preparing status reports and client interface.
- Excellent interpersonal and written communication skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Proficiency with MS Office applications.
Sargent & Lundy is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any protected status as defined by law.