Requisition ID: 33602
Job Category: Consulting; Engineering; Infrastructure
With over six decades of business and technical experience in the mining, energy, and infrastructure sectors, we understand that challenges are changing rapidly in every industry. We respond quickly with solutions that are smarter, more efficient, and innovative. We draw upon our 9,000 staff with experience in over 150 countries to challenge the status quo and create positive change for our clients, our employees, and the communities we serve.
HATCH is currently seeking Sr. Track Design Lead for our North American operations. In this role, you will be leading programs with elite team of rail design professionals focusing on North American projects with some opportunity to work internationally, if desired. As with all of our positions, this position is an entrepreneurial role in which you will be able to leverage Hatch and our more than 1000 rail experts across North America to your ultimate success.
Our ideal candidate will be veteran railroader in the US or Canada with proven experience leading track design and construction programs in excess of $100 million in capital value. Candidate must have significant experience with AREMA, FRA regulations and NORAC rules. While rail technical domain knowledge is important, it is equally important to have developed interpersonal skills as client interaction will be required for most if not all projects. Finally, our ideal candidate will be a trusted advisor and partner with clients and contractor’s alike. Trust and ability to follow through is critically important to Hatch and as a spokesperson, this position must be trusted above nearly all others.
As the successful candidate, you will:
- Manage the design of complex, multi-disciplinary, high-risk projects from start to close-out to meet Hatch commitments;
- Lead and mentor a team of track designers locally and remotely to accomplish a design program;
- Scheduling, budgeting, and coordination of design disciplines and sub consultants;
- Plan, organize and work with technical groups in the delivery of rail engineering project requirements including the provision of technical support to designers;
- Provide leadership on technical design and deliverable requirements includin vertical and horizontal alignments; quantity and construction cost estimates; engineering design reports; technical specifications; material and equipment selection; cost estimates; construction contract documentation; compilation of design/construction drawings; etc.;
- Engage in business development and strategic initiatives, including preparation of proposals;
- Provide support to other Hatch offices and regions in the development and delivery of project requirements;
- Develop and maintain client relations.
You bring to the role:
- Civil Engineering degree from a recognized university;
- PE license is required, PMP would be an asset;
- 10+ years in design of heavy rail and/or large complex rail projects;
- Technically familiar with railway engineering design requirements and projects in NEC;
- Have experience designing alignments; various kinds of track structures including ballasted, direct fixation, floating slab, and embedded track; special trackwork, drainage, wheel rail interface, systems interfaces such as signal and traction power bonds, insulated joints, and various detectors;
- Must have sound knowledge of current engineering and construction principles, methods and practices;
- Familiar with various civil engineering software design tools;
- Track record of delivering projects on time and to budget;
- Experience and a successful track record as a Class I Railroad engineering employee or experience delivering Class I railroad projects would be a definite asset for this position;
- Experience with Railway Rules and Regulations, and Safety /Operations Procedures;
- Ability to communicate effectively and professionally with all levels of staff and clients (both written and orally);
- Ability to work with minimal supervision;
- Ability to maintain good working relationships with the various parties involved in the process;
- Time management skills and ability to adapt to change;
- Excellent analytical, problem-solving and decision-making skills;
- Demostrable experience in training, mentoring and developing staff and educating clients.
We are committed to fostering a workforce in each of our locations that reflects the diversity of the communities in which we operate. Hatch is an Equal Opportunity Employer that considers employment applicants without regard to age, race, colour, national origin, citizenship, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, disability or any other protected status. If you have any special needs requirements, please let us know. We will do our utmost to accommodate, in accordance with applicable local legislation.