Tutor students in various chemistry courses taught at Johnson County Community College.Help students understand concepts in chemistry and solve problems in relating to course material to what they already know, using real life examples and reviewing math skills.Help students with proper use of resources and computer software. Provide assistance to look up reliable information online as well as in books and assist students with online homework as well as Microsoft Office.
Help new tutors learn the best practices in tutoring, the available resources in the Science Resource Center and in the policies and procedures of the SRC. Assist the SRC in outreach programs maintaining a high degree of professional preparation. Assist in daily activities of the Center. Provide assistance in checking out models and books, abide by the policies of the Center, respect diversity among students and other tutors. Follow good work ethics and exhibit good work ethics by being reliable and dedicated. Other duties as requested by the supervisor.
- Must be able to help with computer programs
- Excellent good communication skills, including listening with understanding and patience
- Ability to explain concepts and solving word problems in Chemistry, both orally and in written form in a one-to-one or small group setting
- Bachelor's degree in Chemistry or related field with successful completion of college level chemistry courses through Organic Chemistry and Biochemistry or other related courses
- At least one year of tutoring/teaching experience
- Must be familiar with laboratory techniques including spectral analysis
- 2 years of tutoring/teaching experience preferred
Every employee of the college is expected to treat all members of the college community with dignity and respect demonstrating professional, courteous and respectful behavior and engage in constructive conflict resolution, when needed.
In accordance with the college policy, finalists for this position will be subject to criminal background investigations. Individual hiring departments at JCCC may elect to administer pre-employment tests, which are relevant to essential job functions as part of the applicant selection/hiring process. Many departments require those selected for hire to submit a certified transcript for all degrees obtained. For full consideration, applicants are encouraged to apply prior to the review date listed in posting.
Johnson County Community College welcomes the application of any qualified candidate and does not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, national origin, disability, age, religion, genetic information, marital status, veteran's status, sexual orientation, or other factors that cannot be lawfully considered.
If you are an applicant requesting assistance or a reasonable accommodation in the application process, please contact the Office of Human Resources at 913-469-3877, or email.
For a summary of all disclosures (Background check, Clery Act, ADA, EOE, etc) refer to the links on our Career page.