Vanasse Hangen Brustlin, Inc. (VHB) is seeking a Senior Urban Designer to join their growing Planning and Design Studio in Washington, DC.
VHB has offices from Maine to Florida and offers a diverse range of integrated services in Landscape Architecture, Land Development, Transportation and Environmental Services. The staff of VHB includes landscape architects, engineers, planners, surveyors and environmental scientists who provide a full range of professional expertise and services including site design, master planning, and land planning. VHB strives to provide the best technical skills in each of our practice areas through a seamless, integrated team approach to collaboration. To address our clients’ dynamic needs, VHB has continued to grow and develop a diverse workforce that delivers personal service, value, responsiveness, and excellence.
Our past and present clients include the District Department of Transportation, Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority, Virginia Railway Express, National Park Service, municipalities and private interests throughout the eastern United States.
Successful candidates will provide a resume and short portfolio with work samples.
- Manage Projects for a variety of clients and project types including transit/transportation, TOD, corporate/commercial, institutional, hospitality, parks and recreation and various other types of public and private design efforts
- Develop concept-level plans, studies, and analysis in consultation with an interdisciplinary team
- Coordinates business planning, proposal development, and work planning with Studio Manager
- Engage in the management of stakeholder outreach, fostering strong project relationships with communities, stakeholders, and clients; and delivering/facilitating project presentations
Skills & Abilities:
- Ability to research, analyze and design for complex urban landscapes.
- Strong, creative graphics skills and ability to distill complex information into public-facing materials
- Proficiency in ArcGIS and the Adobe Creative Suite.
- Familiarity in the following: AutoCAD Civil 3D, 3D Rendering Software, and Visualization Applications.
- Skills to implement the integrated services approach. Comprehensive understanding of design, details, and construction drawing preparation including site layout, grading, hardscape, drainage, and planting.
- Experience with green initiative programs (LEED, SITES, etc.) and low-impact development (LID)
- Bachelor of Landscape Architecture (BLA), Urban Planning, or related degree, Master’s degree preferred
- A minimum of 10 years of experience, with some project management experience
- Licensed (or in pursuit of license) Landscape Architect and/or AICP
- Excellent written, graphic and oral communication skills
- Ability to work independently and within a team environment.
- Strong organizational skills required to undertake multiple projects or facets of various projects.
- Comfortable in coordinating input from various organizations for public/private collaboration, including multi-discipline project efforts working with allied professionals such as architects, civil engineers, and planners
- Experience in developing and compiling/producing graphics supported reports
- Strong team collaboration skills
- We regret that we are unable to provide sponsorship for employment visas
At VHB, we’re invested in what we do, compelled by intellectual curiosity, and driven to work collectively to best serve our clients and help shape the future of our communities in a meaningful way. We’re proud, yet humbled, to have been doing this for 40+ years. We are dedicated to making a positive impact and providing opportunities to grow personally and professionally.