Do you thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment?
Are you organized, reliable and pay attention to details?
Are you ready to provide thought leadership with server virtualization and solve complex problems?
Do you want to join our team's culture of integrity, trust, confidence, teamwork, and accountability?
If so, we’re looking for someone like you to join our team at APL!
In this role, you will work with a team of knowledgeable storage, Networking and virtualization engineers to provide direction in the architecture, technical design and implementation of virtualization technologies, providing secure, robust and scalable compute and storage resources to address application requirements. Our team believe in building strong teams, cultivating collaborative relationships and developing a work environment that embraces integrity, trust, confidence, teamwork, and accountability. We are looking for a virtualization architect to spearhead the day to day operational functions.
As a Senior Virtualization Architect...
- You will develop and maintain detailed reference architectures and support documents for the sector’s on-premises VDI and Enterprise cloud virtualization environments.
- You will design and implement standard methodology for our virtualization infrastructure using validated methodologies; maintaining and upgrading our virtualization environments.
- You will provide the operational blueprint required to craft efficient, highly-available virtualized solutions; provide architectural knowledge, direction, and mentorship to team members.
- You will review and analyze VM performance data and craft periodic reports ensuring sufficient resources exist and meet performance expectations.
- You will lead the troubleshooting, root cause analysis and resolution of virtualization performance issues in a timely manner, and communicate findings.
- Provide after-hours support for infrastructure related emergencies as well as occasional weekend maintenance.
- Provide end-user support and training as needed to building strong collaborative relationships and cultivating strong working relation with our users.
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you...
- Hold a Bachelor of Science degree in Computer Science or related field or equivalent years of related professional work experience;
- Have at least 5 years of experience in crafting and building a large diverse virtualization environments using Horizon View for VDI, VMware vSphere and ESXi in a technical architecture role;
- Demonstrate Windows and Linux System administration, and ESX CLI command functions;
- Have experience utilizing automation and orchestration tools for building, configuring, provisioning, and maintaining virtual machines;
- Deep understanding of networking and storage technologies and shown knowledge of VMware Software Defined Networking using NSX for vSphere;
- Are an effective communicator with the aptitude to present technical details to a diverse audience, and independently resolve complex problems using current job knowledge, research data, and external resources;
- Strong knowledge of DoD and/or DSS security standards and security procedures to maintain compliance with security requirements;
- Shown ability to function in a team environment;
- Detail oriented, ambitious contributor that can work independently on a variety of simultaneous project;
- Are able to obtain Secret level security clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government secret clearance investigation and ought to meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
You’ll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you…
- Have experience with enterprise automation VMware vRealize Automation, VMware Orchestrator, public cloud providers such as AWS, Azure, or familiarity with Hyper-V.
- Technical implementation experience with storage technologies (SAN, ISCSI and NAS), and VMware vSAN virtualized storage.
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation’s most challenging defense, security, space and science challenges. With a wide selection of challenging, impactful work and a robust education assistance program, APL promotes a culture of life-long learning. Our employees enjoy generous benefits and healthy work/life balance. APL’s campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at www.jhuapl.edu/careers.
APL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All applicants that meet the minimum qualifications will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.