Jewish Community Center of the East Bay
1414 Walnut St
Berkeley, CA 94709
We are thrilled to continue the JCC East Bay's Shamash Residency. This is a unique opportunity for a local rabbi, Jewish scholar, artist, or Jewish educator to work with the JCC community. During the 6 month intensive residency, the Shamash resident will explore Jewish values, culture, and tradition with our staff, teachers, and community members.
Through the rotating residency, the JCC community will have the opportunity to learn from and with a diverse group of inspiring rabbis, scholars, thinkers, and artists. As a pluralistic space that serves both Jews and the broader community, a Jewish community center can offer multiple perspectives on Jewish life and ideas. Over time, JCC staff, parents, children, and adults of all ages will enjoy a variety of approaches and interpretations to holidays and Jewish thought. Our intention is to develop a cohort of rabbis and scholars that reflect the diversity of the East Bay community.
The Shamash Residency fosters meaningful collaboration between Jewish educators, our staff members, and our vibrant community. Selected scholars will participate in the design of community holiday programs, contribute to a monthly blog, and offer Jewish learning for over 80 staff working throughout Oakland and Berkeley.Minimum Qualifications:
- Ability to inspire and teach Jewish content to staff, teachers, and community
- Ability to design Jewish community, holiday, civic, and /or cultural programs
- Comfortable with a post- and multi-denominational community, and especially interested in serving those who may not participate in other Jewish organizations or programs
- Contemporary approach to Jewish life and learning
- Rabbi or Jewish scholar/ educator/ artist knowledgeable about Jewish values, culture, and tradition
- Experience making Jewish culture, values, and traditions accessible and relevant to diverse audiences
- Comfortable with public speaking
- Experience programming for multiple age groups is ideal
- Songleading or musical experience a plus
- We encourage Jews of color, LGBTQI identified, and people of all Jewish backgrounds and denominations to apply
The JCC East Bay creates healthy communities inspired by Jewish values, culture, and tradition. We provide programs and gathering spaces throughout the East Bay to advance, nurture, and evolve Jewish communal life and contribute to the vitality of the broader community. Through intergenerational activities in Oakland, Berkeley, and beyond, we connect people with each other, foster learning and inspiration, provide opportunities for civic engagement, and explore contemporary Jewish life.
The Center's core programs include provocative cultural events featuring emerging and established artists and thinkers; award-winning early childhood education and parenting support; lifelong learning and older adult services; youth activities including four afterschool programs and summer camp; as well as inclusive Jewish holiday celebrations for all ages. The JCC proudly serves and reflects the diverse residents of the East Bay