Metals USA Plates & Shapes, Inc Philadelphia, PA
Position Title: Machine Operator - Shear Operator
Job Status: Full Time
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Work Schedule: 1st Shift
The Shear Machine Operator is responsible for the daily operation of mechanical, hydraulic and CNC controlled shear machine to produce finished materials to customer specifications in an efficient manner.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable Accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
* Reviews drawings, work orders, tooling instructions or written specifications.
* Sets up metal fabricating support equipment to cut material per work order instructions.
* Positions work piece against guides and end stops or aligns layout lines under shear blade.
* Selects the correct feed, speeds, blade gaps and tooling for the job.
* Loads, installs and sets up the tooling for repetitive work per job plan as required.
* Completes production paperwork, follows shop system data collection procedures and follows inspection procedures on a daily basis.
* Performs quality control inspections on finished product; for ISO certified locations, performs In Process Quality Inspections.
* Performs scheduled maintenance and inspection on equipment per machine specifications.
* Maintains work area in a clean, orderly and safe manner to include returning tools to designated areas.
* Notifies management of product discrepancies or equipment malfunctions, and or personal injuries.
* Adheres to established company policies and procedures paying special attention to safety regulations.
* Adheres to Reliance Steel and Aluminum's Code of Conduct as well as customer confidentiality requirements.
* Regular and predictable attendance is required to perform the duties of a shear machine operator.
* Adheres to all company and customer confidentiality requirements.
* Performs other related duties as assigned.
* Valid OSHA Forklift certification
* Valid Overhead Crane certification
Occupation requires physical activity more than 66% of the time (> 5.5 hours per day)
* Stand, walk, sit, handling/fingering, reach outward, reach above shoulder, climb, squat or kneel or bend
* Lift, carry, push and/or pull 51 -- 100 lbs. with assistance
Other Physical Requirements:
Must wear the proper personal protective equipment (PPE)
* Steel-toed boots
* Hard hats with chin strap; chin strap must be worn on elevated surfaces
* Protective eyewear
* Hand protection
* Arm guards/sleeves
* Hearing protection if required by the hearing conservation program
May be exposed to some of the following working conditions.
* Working inside of an industrial warehouse
* Environmental temperature changes hot & cold
* Moderate to loud noise levels
* Oils, dust, fumes and metallic particles
* Day and night shifts
* High School Graduate or Equivalent
* Two year technical degree and/or apprenticeship
* Ability to comprehend oral and written communication; ability to comprehend technical communications
* Must have mechanical aptitude and good math skills
* Ability to read and interpret mechanical drawings, documents and blue prints.
* Ability to read measuring English & Metric measuring instruments to include: measuring tapes, micrometers, calipers, dial indicators and gauges
* Experience operating an overhead crane/forklift operator
* Must be organized with attention to detail
* Ability to demonstrate professionalism & diplomacy
* Demonstrated manual dexterity, finger dexterity, arm and hand steadiness and multi-limb coordination
* Computer Literacy with understanding of computer programming
Metals USA offers a competitive starting salary and benefits package EOE/Affirmative Action Employer M/F/D/V
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled