Education: Bachelor or Master degree of Chemical, Electrical, Mechanical, or Computer Engineering from an accredited university is required.
Registration: Professional Engineer (PE) registration is highly preferred or may be required.
Experience: This position requires 5 to 10 years of relevant industrial experience in controls and automation engineering, including safety instrumented system engineering.
This is a project engineering role to support SIS projects and SIS project scope through the full project life cycle, from upfront development through installation and commissioning. Candidate should have familiarity with Triconex software, Triconex hardware, Tristation, SPI, SILSolver, process safety lifecycle documentation, and instrumentation/control/electrical design best practices.
Primary responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Supporting the company’s efforts to maintain CSIA Certification.
• Familiarity with and utilize department standards and policies.
• Familiarity with project scope, specifications, and design criteria upon assignment to a project task team.
• Recognizing and communicating scope and design changes promptly.
• Providing on-site assistance during startup.
• Providing technical guidance to less experienced engineering personnel in the department.
• Coordinating work activities with other staff members and C+A Industry Leaders.
• Producing estimate level automation system architecture designs and bill of material generation suitable for the level of the estimate being performed on a project.
• Producing SIS installation specifications.
• Developing conceptual layouts and cost studies as necessary to determine the most simple, efficient approach to solving engineering tasks at hand.
• Producing estimate level preliminary designs and equipment lists suitable for the level of the estimate being performed on a project.
• Designing SIS with an overall emphasis on ease of maintenance and completed product meeting the expectations of the client.
• Assist senior SIS personnel in the evaluation of requirements and development of SIS documentation.
• Consulting with design leaders from other disciplines to ensure the smooth flow of vital information necessary for the scheduled completion of the project.
• Advising the senior engineer concerning design or scope changes which have been identified.
• Reviewing and checking vendor drawings and other discipline drawings for Controls + Automation input.
• Reviewing fabrication drawings and other construction submittals for conformance to engineering drawings and specifications.
• Performing fieldwork necessary to gather field data and retrieve existing SIS configuration.
• Applying knowledge of the discipline specific methods, practices, and techniques required to engineer, design, and construct process and manufacturing projects.
• Applying advanced engineering techniques and analysis to complex designs.
• Estimating and scheduling professional service hours and assess the progress and quality of SIS programming.
• Understanding of the skills and experience required to perform engineering and design functions.
• Developing small work sharing packages for interoffice execution support.
• Experience in the design, implementation, testing/FAT/SAT, deployment/installation, and startup/commissioning for SIS projects.
• Ability to understand and implement the current version of IEC 61131 programming languages and standards.
• Ability to understand and implement any applicable standard, such as the current version of ISA S84, IEC 61511, OSHA 1910.119 Management of Change, and/or NFPA standards.
• Familiarity with specifications and installation details of equipment.
• Ability to create accurate SIS installation documents from the information found on vendor equipment drawings.
• Ability to develop equipment specifications for medium-sized projects.
• Experience with two or more of the following SIS platforms:
o Yokogawa ProSafe
o Honeywell FSC and Safety Manager
o DeltaV SIS
o Rockwell AAdvance
o Allen Bradley GuardLogixo HIMA
• Experience with one or more of the following DCS/PLC/HMI systems:
Yokogawa Centum 3000
Yokogawa Centum VP
Siemens PCS 7
Allen Bradley Control Logix
Allen Bradley PLC 5
Allen Bradley SLC 500
Allen Bradley Micro Logix
Allen Bradley Compact Logix
Rockwell Automation FactoryTalk View SE
Rockwell Automation FactoryTalk View ME
• Knowledge and understanding of schedule constraints and information requirements for the production of all project deliverables.
• Ability to develop SIS installation specifications.
• Ability to accurately estimate completion of assigned tasks.
• Ability to develop a construction cost estimate, a detailed engineering schedule, and a man-hour budget for a small Controls + Automation project or an area for a larger project.
• Ability to understand and apply company engineering design standards.
• Ability to read and interpret PFD’s, P&ID’s, and instrument loop sheets.
• Knowledge and application of TCP/IP networking protocols, media (twisted pair, coaxial, fiber optic, wireless, etc.), and equipment, including managed switches and routers.
• Knowledge and application of instrument field busses including sizing, installation, and operation.
• Familiarity with asset management concepts and systems.
• Ability to troubleshoot I/O problems in the field using a multimeter.
• Ability to troubleshoot software problems in the field.
• Ability to troubleshoot networking problems in the field using common isolation techniques and more advanced techniques such as equipment logs, cable testers, network sniffers/packet analyzers, etc.
• Knowledge and application of at least one of the following in support of control system installation:
o Microsoft Windows Client
o Microsoft Server Operating Systems
• Ability to install and configure control system vendor software on various platforms.
• Proficient in the use of Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook.
• Broad knowledge of industrial networking.
• Good communication skills, both verbal and written.
• Ability to lead a small team to deliver on commitments.
• Ability to deliver good presentations of Hargrove Controls + Automation services.
• Ability to accurately estimate completion of assigned tasks.
• Forecasting hours to complete professional services.
• Developing design criteria and scope of work.
• Excellent virtual team skills and cross-divisional relationships.
• Experience with command line computer interfaces.
• Experience with Windows Domains.
• Experience with Windows Active Directory.
• Experience with creating, using, and deploying Virtual Machines.
• Experience with Network Security.
• Knowledge of Modbus protocols (Serial and TCP).
• Knowledge of Ethernet and LAN/WAN systems such as Cisco switches and routers.
• Basic understanding of CAD software, either AutoCAD or Microstation.