Veterinary opportunity of a lifetime: Join our team at the largest animal sanctuary in the country! Help to save lives in our new state-of-the-art hospital where we pride ourselves on offering homeless pets the same top-of-the-line care that animals with the most loving families would have their vets provide. The new 13,000-square-foot facility offers a private room for shy community cats to stay before and after spay/neuter surgery, a dedicated dental suite, a state-of-the-art laboratory, an x-ray suite, an ultrasound room and many more features that allow us to provide top-notch care. So follow your dream and come live among the beautiful red rock canyons, and put your veterinary experience to work for the animals who need you most homeless pets.
Position Summary: The Mixed Practice Veterinarian will provide quality medical care for a variety of species including large and small animals. Veterinary services are provided to our sanctuary animals, employee animals, and some public animals (i.e. other rescue groups' animals, and low income family pets).
- Responsible for the examination, diagnosis, and treatment of both large and small sanctuary animals, employee animals, and some public animals.
- Performing surgeries as required. This includes, but is not limited to, mid-to-high volume spay and neuter, soft tissue surgery and emergency surgery. There is also a great opportunity for orthopedic surgery so interest in this area is a plus.
- Diagnostic procedures include, but are not limited to, interpreting radiographs, ultrasounds, fine-needle aspirates, nasal and tracheal flushes.
- Dentals -procedures might include multiple extractions for dogs/ cats/ pigs, oral nasal fistulas, teeth trimming or other dental work for rabbits and floating teeth in the large animals.
- Rotating on-call duties
- Advocate for animals, educate public, Best Friends Animal Society staff on all aspects of animal health, and ensure a safe and effective clinic environment.
- Educate, mentor and coach veterinary students.
- Collaborate with clinic staff as well department managers as needed on medical cases.
- Promote continuing development of medical care through continued education.
- Delegating duties and responsibilities to technical support staff to ensure proper care and comfort of hospitalized patients.
- Keeping abreast of veterinary concerns and trends in the animal welfare movement.
- Other duties as assigned.
Skills and Experience:
- Doctorate of Veterinary Medicine (DVM, VMD) or equivalent required.
- Experience with large animals a must. There are a variety of species in our large animal department including horses, mules, donkeys, goats, sheep and pigs.
- Interest in or experience with other species such as parrots, rabbits, and wildlife are a plus.
- Proficient at spays and neuters of dogs and cats
- Interest in shelter medicine.
- Work experience preferred, but new graduates will be considered for the position.
- License in good standing with state veterinary board.
- Must be licensed (or obtain a license) in the state of UT
- License or application in progress for license with Drug Enforcement Agency.
- Flexible work schedule with emergency on-call duties as needed.
- Strong interpersonal skills to handle sensitive and confidential situations. The ideal person for this job would be a team player, personable, professional, upbeat, and energetic, takes initiative, uses tact and diplomacy.
- Strong communication skills to discuss recommendations and explain treatment options to the animal's caregiver and to give clear instruction to staff.
- Able to maintain clear communication with internal staff on all levels.
- Proven written and oral presentation skills
- Strong problem solving skills
- Interest in continuing veterinary education and exploration of new technologies and treatment modalities.
- Ability to professionally advocate Best Friends positions on issue.
- Work requires continual attention to detail. Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment with demonstrated good working habits in an environment that requires multitasking and multiple demands on time.
- Valid Driver's License with access to transportation.
- Ability to stand for long periods of time while performing work requiring concentration and manual dexterity.
- Lifting animals of all sizes, bending, stooping and walking on a daily basis.
- Ability to work out of doors in all weather conditions, with temperatures ranging from below freezing to 100 degrees.
- Working at a computer for extended periods of time with repetitive typing, arm and hand motion.
- When working with animals that are frightened or in pain there is a risk of being bitten, kicked or scratched. In addition when working with diseased animals there is a risk of being infected by disease.
Thank you for your interest in pursuing a career at Best Friends Animal Society. Best Friends Animal Society is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, marital status, domestic partner status, or medical condition.