The Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) is the nation's most effective environmental action organization. We use law, science and the support of 3.1 million members and online activists to protect the planet's wildlife and wild places and to ensure a safe and healthy environment for all living things. NRDC was founded in 1970 and our staff helped write some of America's bedrock environmental laws, including the Clean Water Act, and many of the implementing regulations; our water enforcement cases played a major role shaping current water policy throughout the country. Today, our staff of more than 500 lawyers, scientists, economists, policy and communications experts, and others, work out of offices in New York, Washington, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Bozeman, Montana, and Beijing.
NRDC is increasingly focusing on winning key environmental fights in cities, states, and regions around the United States. This new position will plan and execute the social media components of this work, by creating content and campaign plans that help achieve our local objective, as well as supporting our overall national goals.
Ideal candidates will have strong editorial skills, an expert-level understanding of social media and experience working on advocacy campaigns at the local, state and national levels.
The position reports to the Social Media Director and will be working closely with the Regional Digital Advocacy Campaign Director and others on the campaign and social media teams.
THIS IS A TERM LIMITED POSITION THROUGH 6/30/2021
- Coordinate and execute multi-channel social media strategy for political policy and advocacy campaigns focused on local, state and regional issues. Key campaign tactics will include geo-targeted social media content (Twitter and Facebook), boosted posts and social media ads, social media storytelling, live social media coverage of on-the-ground events, and some community management.
- Provide strategic social media guidance and project management support for regional and state-based advocacy campaigns, including project intake, content creation, scheduling, launch/execution and quality control.
- Create content for NRDC’s Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn accounts, with some assistance on Instagram and Instagram Stories, as needed.
- Monitor breaking news and social conversations, crafting creative and responsive social media messages and memes that illuminate key NRDC positions in real time.
- Plan and execute paid social media strategies using Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn advertising tools, including identifying target audiences, drafting social post copy and working with the multimedia team to design creative assets, such as videos and graphics.
- Increase NRDC’s audience size and engagement metrics, especially in key states.
- Represent NRDC at some offline advocacy events.
- Produce live social media coverage (i.e. live tweets, Instagram Stories, Facebook Live) of on-the-ground events, such as government hearings, marches, protests, conferences or other relevant events related to regional campaigns.
- Work with colleagues to develop and execute strategies for promotion and awareness of major reports, congressional or state legislature votes, court decisions, and other public education and engagement opportunities related to regional campaigns.
- Expand NRDC’s thought leadership by helping create content and provide promotion of NRDC experts.
- Willingness to travel, cover some weekends and holidays as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree or greater.
- At least 3-5 years of experience in a social media or engagement role, preferably at a political campaign, nimble nonprofit or advocacy organization. The ability to work under intense pressure, in high-stakes situations.
- Strong understanding of the issues within the regional states (West: CA, NV, NM, CO, UT, ID, MT, ND, SD, OR, WA).
- Familiarity with the political atmosphere and community dynamics within the regional states.
- Excellent writing skills with a knack for distilling stories into short, compelling copy for a digital audience.
- The ability to understand and adopt NRDC’s “voice.”
- Strong strategic and tactical editorial skills, honed by previous experience.
- Strong project management skills, with the ability to coordinate multiple projects and shifting requests and timelines.
- Familiarity with creating and launching geo-targeted and paid social media campaigns.
- Experience working effectively on multiple projects simultaneously, set priorities, organize time, and identify resources for projects as needed.
- Experience organizing and managing live online events, such as Instagram Stories, Facebook Live, Reddit AMA, Twitter Q&A’s, etc.
NRDC is committed to workplace diversity and inclusion. We are equal opportunity employers and do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity and expression, marital status, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. We offer competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and a pleasant working environment. Salary is based on a nonprofit scale and commensurate with experience. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, for positions based in San Francisco, CA we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
To apply, please visit www.nrdc.org/careers and upload your resume and cover letter through our online portal. We would like you to upload any additional papers or project work that you think would showcase your abilities. Please no phone calls, emails, faxes or in-person resume drop-offs. Please reference where you saw this posting. NRDC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
If you are having technical difficulty while applying, please reach out to Customer Care by dialing 1-800-889-4422.
For further information about NRDC, please visit www.nrdc.org