Title: Social Media Marketing Specialist / Content Writer
Department/Location: School Marketing and Communications/St. Louis Campus
Organizational Relationships: Reports to School Marketing Manager
Summary: The Social Media Marketing Specialist / Content Writer position helps to gather information and content about the School’s activities, events, and accomplishments to best showcase the School in a variety of ways. This position will then coordinate sharing this information in the following ways: (12-month position)
Social Media Marketing Specialist Summary: Develop and implement effective strategies that showcase Principia School while building engagement with a variety of audiences. Create engaging and informative content for Principia School’s social media platforms, manage digital advertising campaigns, and help ensure that Principia School’s website is accurate and integrated with other marketing initiatives. The Social Media Marketing Specialist is responsible for working strategically across multiple digital media, including social, video, websites, and email in support of recruitment, alumni engagement, fundraising, and reputation-building priorities.
Content Writer Summary: Gather information about the School’s activities, events, and accomplishments and write creative, branded, and coordinated content for print, web, and electronic communications that aligns with strategic priorities and tells the Principia story in an engaging and compelling way.
- Gather information and content about the School’s activities, events, and accomplishments to best showcase the School by attending meetings and community events, interviews with students and faculty, monitoring School calendar, etc.
- Create and implement creative digital strategies that are consistent with institutional and Marketing and Communications Office priorities. Stay current with a competitive environment.
- Collaborate with Marketing and Communications team members to conceptualize and develop innovative, data-driven social media projects that strengthen and promote Principia School to various audiences (current and prospective students, parents, community, etc.).
- Create and curate content on social media channels to enhance Principia School’s engagement efforts.
- Work with photographers, videographers, and designers, as appropriate, for development of high-quality, visual social media content.
- Collect and assess the impact of digital media efforts, make recommendations based on that data, and experiment to ensure maximum impact.
- Monitor Principia School’s social media accounts, compiling reports on major brand moments/events.
- Establish, implement, and maintain editorial calendars, guidelines, and best practices to ensure timely content.
- Coordinate and execute paid social media campaigns across multiple platforms, and analyze, review, and report on their effectiveness.
- Stay abreast of evolving trends in digital marketing tools and applications, and develop a broad understanding of social media best practices in order to continually improve Principia’s social and overall digital strategies.
- Serve as a liaison to various departments across the institution to ensure website information is accurate and updated in a timely manner and to maintain consistent, collaborative messages between the website, marketing materials, and digital media campaigns. Collaborate with other digital specialists in organization to synergize work.
- Assess web content performance utilizing web analytic programs and other tools, and identify and recommend adjustments.
- Identify ways to improve usability of key webpages.
- Write timely School news content as needed—including reporting on events, interviewing students and faculty detailing interesting classwork and faculty and student accomplishments, etc.
- Provide content for key institutional materials, website, and external publications.
- Supports communication and public relations opportunities to promote Principia.
Candidates’ overall outlook and approach to life and learning are just as important to us as appropriate qualifications and experience. Principia School seeks individuals who are . . .
- Positive: We appreciate team members who are optimistic, positive, and focused on elevating and bringing out the very best in themselves and others. We are a strengths-based organization; faculty and staff are expected to understand teammates’ strengths and how they can complement each other.
- Team players: The ability to collaborate and partner with peers and senior administrators is critical. The School has a strong team-centered leadership approach. Staff are expected to be able to listen, give and receive feedback, and be comfortable exchanging ideas and speaking candidly in a professional and collegial manner. They must bring a constructive outlook to partnering with a wide range of stakeholders—administrators, faculty, coaches, houseparents, marketers, and fundraisers, among others.
- Innovators: Given our fast-moving, ever-changing world, all School employees are expected to demonstrate a problem-solving mindset that helps our team come up with creative solutions to challenging issues. The School emphasizes continual improvement and expects staff to have a mentality of self-improvement and organizational excellence.
- Strategic thinkers: We prize the ability to consider complex topics from multiple perspectives and offer innovative solutions.
- Active (or pending) membership in The First Church of Christ, Scientist, and/or in a Journal-listed branch church or society of The First Church of Christ, Scientist
- Christian Science class instruction preferred but not required
- Must be a self-starter with the ability to work independently and collaboratively
- Bachelor's degree, preferably in marketing, communications, advertising, public relations, or related fields
- At least two to four years of experience in related fields
- Experience developing and implementing effective social media strategies
- Must be an enthusiastic consumer of social media and have experience with Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube, Instagram, and other platforms
- Experience developing a content calendar, using a social media publishing solution such as Hootsuite, and utilizing social media advertising to promote content, preferred
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to take initiative and think strategically and creatively across digital media platforms
- Ability to independently interpret data and make strategic decisions regarding digital marketing initiatives
- Ability to manage time and workload effectively which includes planning, organizing, and prioritizing with attention to detail
- Ability to build relationships across all levels of the institution
Note: This description includes most, but not necessarily all, of the activities and responsibilities assigned to this position.