Special Education/Social Worker
10-month,full-time position for 2020-21 school year.
Determining Student Need
- Meet with classroom teachers and other school personnel to understand their concern about the student.
- Observe the child within the school environment.
- Conduct diagnostic interviews of student and parents.
- Collect information for a Social Developmental Evaluation as deemed appropriate for children who are receiving a Case Study Evaluation.
- Share in the evaluation and planning of a student's needs with the Child Study Team including developing appropriate social/emotional goals to ensure student growth.
- Complete formal adaptive behavior assessment when required.
- Collect, organize, and utilize data from various sources to make informed decisions, monitor student progress, and plan appropriate interventions.
- Supporting school-wide systems to address the social/emotional needs of all students.
- Small group work with students around specific needs/skills.
- Classroom group work, typically for social skills instruction as requested.
- Individualized interventions for those students demonstrating the highest need.
- Contact with parents and providing referral sources for those families requiring long term counseling.
- Availability for crisis intervention.
- A cooperative working relationship with the student's teacher and any other school personnel working with the child.
Collaboration with Teachers and Administrators
- Assist teachers in developing appropriate strategies to work more effectively with particular children, including general classroom management issues.
- Knowledge of strategies and interventions that teachers can utilize in their classrooms to assist students in their social and emotional growth.
- Provide information for staff about community resources.
- Available for consultation with administrators on broad areas of mental health.
- Displays a high standard of honesty, integrity, andconfidentiality in interactions with colleagues, students, and the public, and advocates for students appropriately when needed.
- Participates in the development of IEPs.
- Attends and participates in Social Work Department Job Alike meetings
- Seeks out professional growth opportunities and sharesinformation with appropriate colleagues.
- Keeps informed of policies and practices of agencies,especially those providing counseling services, and suggests appropriate resources to the school community as needed.
- Facilitates referrals to agencies especially when need is indicated for long term counseling.
- Serve as a liaison between school, families and communityagencies.
- Pursues educational studies to maintain and improve professional levels of performance.
Requirements: Master of Social Work Degree from a school of social work accredited by the Council on Social Work Education. Professional Educator License.Suggest registration as a licensed social worker or licensed clinical social work with the State of .
Salary: 2020-21 teacher salary schedule