Software Development Engineer III
The Platform as a Service (PaaS) team provides enterprise-level IT operations, engineering and maintenance support for applications, Commercial Off the Shelf (COTS) and internally developed packages, legacy equipment, servers, storage, networking, multifunction printers, and virtual desktop technology to a government agency out of Pocatello, Idaho. New projects include (but not limited to) data center relocations, technical deployments of new or additional technologies, and technical refresh of IT systems. Hardware and software refreshes include the migration of systems from legacy hardware to new platforms to include cloud. The objectives are to assist in IT activities which includes engineering and design of hosting platforms as well as the system administration requiring installation, secure configuration, patching, updates, repairs, migration, data replication, system redundancy, backup of data, restoration of data, archiving of data, bare metal physical and virtual computer builds, scripting, packaging, and deployment of changes.
Responsible for the design, development, testing, and management of the application development projects in support of IT infrastructure. This includes the programmatic integration of third party components, the introduction of new custom capabilities, modification of existing code, process improvement recommendation, and automation of operations and maintenance tasks. Duties include technical project milestone reviews, code architecture sessions, resource estimation, and development best practices knowledge transfer. Provides technical lead of development staff, along with peer level interaction with project managers and architects.
- Responsible for program design, coding, testing, debugging, and documentation.
- Recommend and utilize the appropriate programming language for each component or workload based upon performance requirements, supportability, integration with existing components, maintainability, and other selection criteria deemed applicable.
- Have full technical knowledge of all phases of applications systems analysis and programming.
- Review current systems and analyze business functions or processes to understand the needs for which applications are being designed.
- Recommend system capabilities and objectives for assigned projects.
- Responsible for conducting code quality assurance reviews.
- Manage large scale development efforts, including the technical lead of other development teams.
- Develop all components and services using industry best practices such as test driven development, centralized source code management, code reviews, and automated testing.
- Utilize continuous integration / continuous deployment (CI/CD) workflows to the maximum extent possible for all published components.
- Produce DevOps best practice templates and guides to serve as examples to other development teams interested in transitioning to DevSecOps development workflows.
- Provide assistance with the creation and maintenance of trusted computing components, such as operating system images, application templates, platform as a service infrastructure, etc.
- Provide subject matter expertise during the review of potential technologies proposed for integration with the environment.
- Fully document development efforts using a combination of code comments, project issue tracking, change requests, and formal documentation.
- Ensure that software deployments minimally impact production workloads running in production environments. All developed components should be produced in accordance with industry best practices for high availability environments.
- Performance of analysis and tests, as needed, to aid the design process and to document the end item business functionality and system performance requirements.
- Active Top Secret Clearance required
- Have a minimum of 10 years’ experience in the design and development of complex server based, client/server, service oriented, micro-service, and/or n-tiered applications
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field preferred
- Experience serving as the engineer of complex technology implementations in a web service centric environment preferred
- Experience with containerization technologies (eg, LXC, Docker, Rocket) preferred
- Advanced knowledge and implementation experience with the Atlassian Suite
- Experience with automation/configuration management using Chef, Puppet, Ansible, or similar preferred
- Have agile software design experience and be able to create/consume stories within a sprint structure.
- Place of performance: Pocatello, Idaho
Apex is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Apex will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable law. If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation in using our website for a search or application, please contact our Employee Services Department at 844-463-6178