We are a small, but mighty team, working at the cross roads of technology and entertainment to bring content from iconic television brands to our audiences over the Internet in the most entertaining ways we can imagine and build. As television changes, our mission remains true to the principles that founded Discovery – every day we seek to ignite people’s curiosity to engage, entertain and enlighten the world around them through amazing viewing experiences.
Discovery Direct to Consumer is looking for a Client Engineering Manager responsible for growing, mentoring and leading a team of client engineers to build very critical piece of applications with best-of-breed UX across Web, Android, iOS, FireTV, tvOS, Xbox, Roku and future platforms. Background in design and a firm understanding of how to make calls to microservices and handle the responses and engage the users. Experience working with authentication stack and services helps.
Our client technology stack includes ReactJS, Redux, Node.js, ReactNative, Swift, Android and BrightScript. We love working with modern tools and sharing our experiences with the community.
This is a fantastic opportunity to help solve complex but interesting scalability, performance and availability problems for products consumed by millions of users each day! You will have the opportunity to work with a suite of great technologies and in a highly collaborative environment working with international teams all across the world.
What You’ll Do
- Lead by example through coding, this is a hands-on engineering role.
- Write clean, concise, readable code that follows common design patterns and principles.
- Complete work with a conscientious attitude and good follow-through.
- Collaborate with coworkers from design, engineering, product, project, QA and content teams.
- Translate functional requirements into solutions that work well with current architecture.
- Preform peer code reviews.
- Utilize multi-tasking and context shifting skills.
- Identify inefficiencies and make recommendations.
- Develop prototypes and proof of concept projects to test the waters with new technologies or ideas.
- Stay informed with changes in technology and formally present new processes and technologies our team.
- Produce comprehensive, usable software documentation.
- Provide skill development opportunities to direct reports and work with them in regular one-on-one sessions.
- Work with personal connections, HR and recruiters to define and fill open positions.
- Communicate team status, drive and morale.
- Partner with other cross-functional managers to ensure capacity and velocity is maintained.
What You Need
- 10+ years of professional experience architecting, developing, and launching software products and/or services.
- 2+ years of experience managing successful engineering teams including hiring and performance management.
- High proficiency & technical leadership in ReactJS and/or React Native development
- Commanding knowledge of device manufacturer guidelines, signing, certification and publishing processes.
- Commanding knowledge of UI component lifecycles, rendering and performance in at least one of our target platforms
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
Skills & Requirements
- You are comfortable with collaborating using Git.
- Ability to provide code samples either privately or through a Github
- Several applications in an App store with a favorable rating.
- Skills with optimizing rendering performance using profiling and debugging tools.
- Must have legal right to work in the United States.
Nice to Haves
Experience with any of the following would be considered a plus…
- Design interest, making efficient calls to upstream and backend systems.
- Connected device development like Roku, Xbox, FireTV or Smart TVs