Software Engineer III� Computer Vision & Machine Learning�
We are seeking an experienced and energetic software engineer who has a proven track record in computer vision to develop robust and scalable algorithms; write production quality, high performance implementations; and disseminate the methods to scientists from varying disciplines. You will be developing image registration, segmentation and classification methods to extract features from high resolution images and time-series. This role is part of a team doing big and open science. You will interact regularly with neuroscientists and a wide variety of engineers, collaborating in a large team working on new discoveries about the brain.
- Design, implement, deploy and maintain robust and scalable computer vision solutions for image registration, segmentation and classification on high resolution imaging data and time series
- Practice software engineering best practices to support the code base in high throughput, production oriented, scientific pipelines.
- Engage in rigorous communication about algorithms and software implementations with the team, in-house neuroscience colleagues, public meetings, publications, and GitHub.
- Support the life cycle of data production pipeline, in the generation and large scale, pilot and focused research, including the support and maintenance of legacy methods in the pipeline.
- Stay current with the technical advancement relevant to image registration.
- Interest in neuroscience and curiosity about how the brain works.
- Apply a modern software engineering workflow, including emphasis on code review, continuous integration, and automatic testing.
- Identify and build working relationships and partnerships with external collaborators and users
- Participate in writing, presenting and reviewing strategic and operational reports
- Exceptional problem-solving abilities will be essential for success
- Strong communication skills to concisely communicate to provide context, offers insights and minimizes misinterpretation
- 6-8 years minimum experience in developing original image registration, segmentation and optimization algorithms
- Bachelor�s Degree. in electrical engineering, computer science, mathematics, statistics, or equivalent work experience.
- Demonstrated skill writing original, high performance, well tested, computer vision or similar scientific computing codes.
- Familiarity with computer vision research literature
- Expert level developer of modern C++, or Python languages for scientific computing, and preferably both.
- Experience with command line development tools in a Linux environment.
- Familiarity with entire software development methodology and tools, including source code management, build, debugging, and testing.
- History of contributing to open source projects.
- Experience writing code for continuous delivery
- Publication history
- Experience in machine learning, especially in facial recognition, is a plus.
**Please note, this opportunity does not sponsor work visas and has no relocation assistance.**
It is the policy of the Allen Institute to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, the Allen Institute will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.