Title: Software Engineer III
Location: Silver Spring, MD or Omaha, NE
Term: Full Time
Clearance: Public Trust
Work Authorization: US Citizen
Centuria Corporation is seeking a highly motivated Software Engineer III to support the Advanced Weather Interactive Processing System (AWIPS) program using Java, Java Enterprise Edition (JEE) architecture, and Service Oriented Architecture (SOA) / Enterprise Bus (ESB) software technologies.
The candidate must have experience and knowledge with software engineering using object-oriented methodologies. The candidate will work as a software developer and integrator as part of a development team, which utilizes a diverse dynamic workforce, including many experts in their fields throughout the design, development and maintenance life cycle.
- Design and code software components, units, and modules that meet product specification and development schedules.
- Test and debug assigned components and units,
- Participate in large system and subsystem planning.
- Adhere to product build and release schedules and strategies.
- Act as a technical resource for lower-level developers.
- Possess a comprehensive knowledge of one or more platforms and operating systems and multiple programming languages. Typically requires knowledge of one or more systems architectures.
- Understand a variety of the field concepts, practices, and procedures.
- Rely on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals.
- Perform a variety of complicated tasks and use a wide degree of creativity and latitude is expected.
- Develop new functional capabilities within software applications to meet a wide range of customer requirements and operational needs.
- Integrate a wide variety of applications from various sources, and ensuring they meet performance standards for stability and resource utilization
- Adhere to accepted standards for development, including writing unit tests which provide a high percentage of code coverage, participating in peer code reviews, conducting design reviews, and generating test plans to ensure maximum stability and quality of code
- Bachelor of Science, BS in a Math, Science or Engineering [STEM] field
- Must have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher. GPA must be included on resume.
- 4+ years directly related to software development engineering in Java. A thorough understanding of Java gained through formal training can substitute for this experience
- 4+ years of experience in software development using Object Oriented Methodologies. Object Oriented Analysis (OOA) and Object-Oriented Design (OOD) skills
- Programming skills Java/J2EE
- Proficiency in Unix and/or Linux
- Knowledge and understanding of software development life cycles
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- 2+ years of experience using Enterprise Service Bus (ESB) and/or Java 2 Enterprise Edition (J2EE) web services architecture. A thorough understanding of ESB or J2EE gained through formal training can substitute for this experience.
- Experience with Software design tools such as Rational Rose, Rhapsody, or comparable tools
- Experience with scripting is a plus (Perl & Python as well as others)
- Experience and/or knowledge with Web Service design and development
- Experience and/or knowledge with Service Oriented Architecture
- Experience developing and/or supporting solutions for weather and meteorological science.
- Experience in Extensible Markup Language (XML), Unified Modeling Language (UML), Eclipse IDE, database, and/or Graphical User Interfaces (GUIs) a plus.
- Experience in Geographic Information Systems (GIS) or OpenGL technologies a plus.