Penske is an essential business to our customers and communities, our team is working hard to keep supply chains up and running. This position is immediately available and we are actively recruiting, interviewing and hiring for this role. Please apply today. We are committed to the health and safety of our associates, candidates, and customers. We have modified our hiring processes to include increased phone interviews and where in-person activities are required, we are practicing social distancing. You can learn more about our company approach on our main company career page Gopenske.com.
As a Penske Software Engineer, you will be responsible for the design, development and implementation of IT solutions in financial applications dealing with General Ledger, Accounts Receivable, Accounts Payable, Commissions and Proprietary Penske apps. The applications will be primarily on IBM i RPG and SQL, DB2 and PF with a few front-end applications on Java. You will work with business users to gather requirements, complete user acceptance testing, create IT proposals and work plans, adhere to all Penske standards and processes, and work with other developers both onsite and offshore. You will also be responsible for application support during critical system failures. The development methodology will be on Agile with Jira boards and Daily stand-ups, where you will be expected to take a leadership role in projects.
• Responsible for designing, developing, and implementing complex software systems
• Assist in the architectural design of applications for supported user departments.
• Assist and in some cases lead technical sessions at the departmental level and play a major role in mentoring junior developers
• Work with Senior Engineers and cross functional teams to analyze system and application issues for the supported applications.
• Must be fully fluent in multiple programming languages.
• Should have the ability to break large systems/programs into logical units.
• Identify opportunities to keep current on emerging technologies and their innovative usage as it pertains to departmental goals.
• Ensure development standards are followed for supported user applications. Suggest improvements, additions to standards.
• Be a part of the team that conducts new-hire interviews.
• Lead project scope development and options analysis and recommend technical solutions to meet customer needs (third party or in-house).
• Responsible for the creation of project plans, timelines, milestones, goals and ownership
• Must complete and implement projects on time, and ensure all assigned tasks and projects are executed to department quality standards.
• Plan, execute and report on the status of small to medium complex projects.
• Recognized as a technical lead for onshore and offshore teams on small and mid-sized projects.
• Other projects as assigned by the manager
• Work closely with mid to senior level management and project team during scope development and option analysis phase.
• Lead the technical aspects of the projects and/or solutions to meet client group expectations.
• Translate business requirements into technical/system requirements
• Execute technical solutions to department quality standards.
• Involved in research and analysis of third party software solutions, and must be able to make a recommendation to use third party software or develop solution in-house
• Identify future opportunities for application enhancement and value generation.
• Know how to break technical solutions into logical units, and have the ability to use models to show applications or program flow.
• Works closely with senior developers/designers to support development efforts
• Involved in mentoring junior level associates.
• Responsible to assess task quality and provide ongoing feedback to project members.
Education and Experience Requirements:
• Bachelor’s degree required, advanced degrees preferred
• Green Belt preferred
• 7-9 years of functional and technical experience.
• 2-3 years of project management experience (including large scale projects, and managing multiple projects at one time).
Knowledge and Technical Skill Requirements:
• Understand application development life cycles/methodologies
• Understand systems development life cycle thoroughly, and ability to produce all required deliverables
• Understand database administration and data processing concepts.
• Thoroughly understand computer systems and underlying platforms and architectures.
• Demonstrate ability to independently write system specifications for complex applications
• 5+ years of experience AS400, RPG/400, RPG FREE, ILE, CL, CLLE, DBU, DB2SQL, SQLRPGLE
• Experience in Java, J2EE, HTML, Java Script, JSP, JQUERY, CSS, Unix, C, C++, websphere, mybatis - Preferred
• IBM I rational, Implementer, Xanalysis, Advance Query Tool, Jira, Confluence - Preferred
• Must be proficient in SQL & Query Optimization
Soft Skills Requirements:
• Written and oral interpersonal communication skills
• Strong analytical skills and attention to detail
• Critical thinking & problem solving
• Ability to provide coaching/mentoring to junior level associates
• Lead cross-functional teams for small and mid-size projects
• Ability to resolve conflict within a work group
• Customer focus
• Ability to work independently or on a team
• Time management and prioritization
• Regular, predictable, full attendance is an essential function of the job
• Willingness to travel as necessary, work the required schedule, work at the specific location required, complete Penske employment application, submit to a background investigation (to include past employment, education, and criminal history) and drug screening are required.
-The physical and mental demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an associate to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
-The associate will be required to: read; communicate verbally and/or in written form; remember and analyze certain information; and remember and understand certain instructions or guidelines.
-While performing the duties of this job, the associate may be required to stand, walk, and sit. The associate is frequently required to use hands to touch, handle, and feel, and to reach with hands and arms. The associate must be able to occasionally lift and/or move up to 25lbs/12kg.
-Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
Penske is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
About Penske Truck Leasing
Penske Truck Leasing Co., L.P., headquartered in Reading, Pennsylvania, is a partnership of Penske Corporation, Penske Automotive Group and Mitsui & Co., Ltd. A leading global transportation services provider, Penske operates a
premier fleet of vehicles and serves its customers from locations in North America, South America, Europe, Australia, and Asia. Penske’s product lines include full-service truck leasing, contract maintenance, commercial and consumer truck rentals, used truck sales, transportation and warehousing management and supply chain management solutions. Visit www.GoPenske.com to learn more.