Discovery, Inc is the leader in global real-life entertainment with powerful brands such as Discovery Channel, Genius Kitchen, TLC, Food Network, HGTV, and Travel Channel. Our Digital Studios team develops experiences on the web, mobile, and voice that reaches millions of users each day - inspiring them with ideas and tools to create their own unique world.
As part of the team, you will build microservices that power the next generation of Food Network web, mobile, and voice platforms used by millions of users each day. We're building new direct-to-consumer experiences that will need many new exciting services. We’re looking for someone to manage the engineers of one of the teams focused on building these services. We’re building our services primarily using cutting edge AWS serverless technologies such as Lambda, API Gateway, Kinesis, and DynamoDB (amongst many others). Our services are a combination of event-driven, REST, and GraphQL.
This will be a hands-on role where you’ll be successful by: providing architectural direction on our microservices platform; participating in all aspects of the agile software development process; providing coaching to team members; and collaborating with other Discovery teams on shared objectives. As a manager on the team, you’ll be expected to write code, drive code reviews, and help prioritize work for the team.
1. Develop modern, scalable services that interact with other services as well as with our web, mobile, and voice applications
2. Deliver high quality, high performance, well tested, scalable code
3. Manage the entire lifecycle of services from design to development to operating in production
4. Lead a DevOps culture in the Digital Studios organization
5. Participate alongside your team in the on-call rotation (rare after hours support)
6. Help set and fulfill the engineering hiring plan for the team, including sourcing, screening, and interviewing
7. Master developing and operating backend services fully leveraging AWS technologies, including serverless offerings
8. Coach and mentor software engineers
9. Day-to-day support of project initiatives including: participation in sprint planning, team retrospectives, and code reviews
10. Help set team goals and technical direction while ensuring that they align with the goals of the larger organization
11. Meet with the rest of the engineering management team to align engineering-wide priorities
12. Weigh several and often conflicting constraints and make rapid decisions in a fast-paced environment with constant change
13. Help implement effective engineering processes and policies that emphasize quality and forward progress
14. Communicate status, roadblocks and requirements to senior management in order to proactively solve problems and drive solutions
15. You may need to travel a few days every couple of months to spend time with engineers in remote offices
* Experience: 2+ years in an engineering management role.
* Knowledge of cloud infrastructure and platforms (e.g., Amazon Web Services, Google Cloud)
* Experience using at least one NoSQL database such as DynamoDB, Redis, Cassandra, Elasticsearch, MongoDB, etc
* Knowledge of large scale application architecture, design, implementation and performance tuning.
* A bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering or a related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience
* Must have the legal right to work in the United States.
Bellevue, Washington, WA, Seattle