Discover your opportunity with Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group (MUFG), the 5th largest financial group in the world with total assets of over $2.4 trillion (as ranked by SNL Financial, April 2016) and 140,000 colleagues in nearly 50 countries. In the U.S., we're 13,000 strong, working together to positively impact every customer, organization, and community we serve. We achieve this by delivering on our values, putting people first, fostering long-term relationships built on honesty and mutual understanding, and inspiring the best in each other. This is all part of our inclusive, high-performing culture supported by Total Rewards that include our cash balance pension plan. Join a team that's working to fulfill its vision to be the world's most trusted financial group.
Solution Architect, Consumer Banking, Vice President
This position can be remote, within an approved MUFG operating State
Reporting to the Solution Architecture Manager within Enterprise Architecture, the Solution Architect for Consumer Banking provides advanced technology architecture expertise on decisions and priorities for the associated business domain, furthers the bank's vision for technology and is a leader in strategy and innovation to solve current and future business needs. The architect acts as leader of change and advisor to IT and Business Partners, proactively identifies improvement opportunities to effectively leverage technology to improve business capabilities, and collaborates with internal and external partners to ensure that technology decisions and blueprints align with the overall Enterprise Architecture Framework which supports the bank's business and technology strategies and goals. The architect partners with project teams to ensure all new technology solutions align with enterprise standards, architecture principles and patterns and meet non-functional requirements. The architect provides leadership and expertise in the development of standards, architectural governance, design patterns, and IT practices; determines which information technology investments will yield the best return, both in terms of hard costs and productivity benefits; and actively champions the reduction of IT risk by managing the technology obsolescence with the business system portfolio. This role may supervise and mentor other architects to enhance their design and leadership skills as well as support efforts in the Consumer Banking space.
The Solution Architect for Consumer Banking delivers business solution designs that meet the functional needs and operate reliably while aligning to enterprise technology standards, strategies, reference architecture and patterns. They manage the system portfolio for the business domain to ensure health, stability and strategic fit.
Project Support (75%)
The Solution Architect for Consumer Banking is assigned to complex enterprise projects and transformative initiatives. The architect engages with the business and technology teams during strategic planning phase to influence the investment to drive the strategic vision; enables stakeholders to visualize the target state and achievement of benefits; draws connections across the enterprise to promote reusability of efforts and assets; analyzes and translates business and technical requirements into an architectural blueprint to achieve complex business objectives; and reviews and influences project requirements for clarity, quality and feasibility. The architect collaborates with other architects, information security, application development, and infrastructure teams to produce complete and optimal designs. The architect produces designs for cost effective solutions that take into consideration project and operational expenses. They make appropriate architectural tradeoffs based on key business goals and are able to rationalize the decision. They propose architecture solution alternatives considering business and technology constraints as well as opportunities. They drive alignment of business solutions to architectural standards. They are able to decompose project scope into multi-phase/generation projects, deliver the Solution Architecture Document for the project, engage on prototype development to demonstrate new concepts and technology, and communicate effectively across project stakeholders of various levels and disciplines to influence change and drive clarity.
IT Portfolio Management (15%)
The Solution Architect for Consumer Banking develops current and future state architecture blueprints, strategies, and roadmaps to achieve the target state for the Consumer Bank business domain. The architect maintains an organization-wide view of current and future business and application architecture and communicates across all levels of the organization to educate and inform the impact of change. They influence change opportunities and investments to achieve the target state. They describe the path forward regarding use of technology and champion the reduction of technology obsolescence. They analyze the current architecture to identify weaknesses and develop opportunities for improvement such as enhancing business processes, expanding capacity, reducing time and cost, and increasing overall effectiveness.
Advisory Services (10%)
The Solution Architect for Consumer Banking stays current on vendor offerings, technology and industry trends. The architect develops recommendations to the business teams for consideration and investment, performs vendor solution evaluations for business fit and standards alignment, and facilitates post problem resolution by identifying long term solutions to operational issues. They mentor and train other IT Architects. They participate in relevant industry groups and network with industry peers to gain knowledge, share ideas, and stay current on industry trends. The architect leverages research on Technology trends to drive improvements through emerging technology adoption and authors technical white papers and position papers.
- Typically requires a B.S. or higher degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or a related field and over 12 years of experience in multiple IT areas with at least 5 years of direct, relevant architecture design experience
- Requires 3 to 5 years of experience working in the Consumer Banking Technology area for a large financial institution
- Preferred experience implementing large scale global Consumer Banking solutions for customer segments ranging from Retail, Small Business, Wealth, and Commercial
- Experience designing comprehensive Consumer Banking solutions which cover the entire business process including Retail Branch Teller and New Accounts Solutions, Deposits, ATM / Debit Card, and Consumer Credit Card
- Experience developing Consumer Banking architecture blueprints, strategies, and roadmaps
- Experience with back end banking operational functions in the retail branch, payments, deposit exceptions, and item processing areas
- End to end development lifecycle experience a plus including project management skills. Must be able to assess requirements, designs, test plans, deployment plans and perform peer reviews. Ability to prioritize projects and keep multiple streams of work on schedule.
- Have experienced success with DevSecOps development methods within a waterfall oriented security and risk environment
- Professional experience architecting and/or operating solutions built on AWS, Azure, or GCP
- Demonstrates a high level of technology and organizational leadership and influence. Collaborate effectively with peers, SME's, business teams, vendors and project stakeholders. Experience with teaching and technical mentoring.
- Is viewed as the thought leader and is sought out for consultation and advisory services. Is able to initiate business cases and dialog with enterprise stakeholders to advance new strategies and methods.
- Must have executive presence and communication skills
- A strong and effective change agent with excellent written and verbal communication skills capable of addressing stakeholders at different levels in the organization (executives, IT management, business partners, and developers)
- Ability to concisely model concepts using standardized notation. UML knowledge, modeling tools and case management experience a plus.
- Strong organizational skills (multi-tasking) and a self-motivator
- Experience migrating or re-architecting legacy capabilities for the cloud
- Ability to travel, including out of state and internationally
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer and committed to leveraging the diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and experience of our workforce to create opportunities for our colleagues and our business. We do not discriminate in employment decisions on the basis of any protected category.
A conviction is not an absolute bar to employment. Factors such as the age of the offense, evidence of rehabilitation, seriousness of violation, and job relatedness are considered in all employment decisions. Additionally, it's the bank's policy to only inquire into a candidate's criminal history after an offer has been made. Federal law prohibits banks from employing individuals who have been convicted of, or received a pretrial diversion for, certain offenses.