GENERAL SUMMARY OF DUTIES: Provides ultrasound diagnostic tests for patients.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Reports to POD Manager
SUPERVISION EXERCISED: None.
TYPICAL PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Requires full range of body motion including handling and lifting patients, manual and finger dexterity and eye-hand coordination. Involves standing and walking. Occasionally lifts and carries items weighing up to 50 pounds. Requires normal visual acuity and hearing. Requires exposure to bodily fluids.
TYPICAL WORKING CONDITIONS: Frequent exposure to communicable diseases, toxic substances, ionizing radiation, medicinal preparations and other conditions common to a clinic environment.
EDUCATION/QUALIFICATIONS: One- two years experience as an ultrasonographer preferred. Must be registered or registry eligible. Must be a graduate of a recognized training program of Diagnostic Medical Sonography.
GENERAL DUTIES: (This list may not include all of the duties assigned.)
- Demonstrates knowledge of practice for the sonographer and competency in OB/GYN diagnostic procedures.
- Provides documentation of individual patient care according to history and clinical information obtained from ultrasound study and quality assurance documentation as defined in the policy and procedure manual.
- Explains appropriately the rationale for ultrasound procedures to patients.
- Recognizes changes in patient status and appropriately communicates to physician.
- Selects proper technical factors on an individual patient basis depending on the type of procedure being done.
- Exhibits a working knowledge of principles, practice and procedures involved in the operation of ultrasound equipment.
- Anticipates and recognizes safety hazards, legal liabilities and intervenes through appropriate channels.
- Provides and promotes quality care to all patients.
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationship with providers, co-workers, patients and other employees of the department and office.
- Recognizes individual accountability for and participates in cost containment goals of the department and office.
- Demonstrates continuous self-improvement through utilization of knowledge gained in clinical experience in Ultrasound.
- Participates in in-service education, staff meetings and other continuing education programs to maintain optimal technical knowledge. Participates in continuing education and in-services outside Physicians East, P.A. office for 30 hours of continuing education every three years specific to ultrasound.
- Exhibits ability to problem solve, prioritize and evaluate patient care activities.
- Provides a role model for peers and other health care personnel.
- Adheres to department and office policies.
- Accepts and supports learning needs of new staff.
- Performs procedures requiring independent judgement with ingenuity and initiative.
- Evaluates equipment breakdowns and assesses the need for service.
- Responsible for appropriately charging procedures performed in accordance with federal law.
- Adheres to the policy and procedure for each ultrasound study and documenting the requirements of the study.
- Maintains area and equipment in a clean and orderly fashion.
- Attends safety classes and other continuing education classes as offered by Physicians East, P.A.
- Maintains yearly CPR certification.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by this employee. He or she will be required to follow any other instructions and to perform any other duties requested by his or her supervisor.