SUMMARY: Under the direction of the Diagnostic Imaging Director, performs Diagnostic Ultrasound procedures at a technical level not requiring constant supervision of technical detail and within established departmental policies and procedures. Must be fully proficient in all the duties required of this position. Performs related duties as requested.
DUTIES AND ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:NOTE: The following are the duties performed by employees in this classification. However, employees may perform other related duties at an equivalent level. Not all duties listed are necessarily performed by each individual in the classification.
1. Selects equipment for use in ultrasound setup according to specifications of examination.
2. Explains process to patient, and instructs and assists patient in assuming physical position for examination.
3. Selects transducer and adjusts equipment controls according to organ to be examined, depth of field, and other specifications of test.
4. Keys test data and patient information into computer of ultrasound equipment to maintain record of test results.
5. Moves transducer, by hand, over specified area of body and observes sound wave display screen to monitor quality of ultrasonic pattern produced.
6. Operates equipment that produces images of internal organs and records diagnostic data on storage media.
7. Responsible for organizing and maintaining clean work area, equipment and inventory.
8. Assists in orienting new staff and training Sonography students.
Education: Sufficient to meet requirements for registry by ARDMS or ARRT in ultrasound.
Minimum Experience: At least five years recent experience in clinical ultrasound or at least four years recent experience in clinical ultrasound at AHS.
REQUIRED LICENSES/CERTIFICATIONS: BLS - Basic LIfe Support Certifications - issued by AHA - American Heart Association. Current American Registry of Diagnostic Medical Sonography (ARDMS) certification, or registry in Ultrasound by the American Registry of Radiologic Technologist (ARRT) preferred. Must be registered in two or more anatomical specialty.