The Sous Chef reports directly to the Executive Chef, directly manages kitchen staff, and oversees day-to-day operations, working closely with Front of House Mangers, other Sous Chefs and the Executive Team of Crafted Concepts.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Create schedules for kitchen staff to ensure optimum service levels.
- Train new and existing kitchen staff on recipe execution and plating standards.
- Ensure kitchen staff is adhering to culinary standards of Crafted Concepts.
- Develop new menu items for the many menu changes throughout the year.
- Record inventories, place orders with vendors, and ensure that the restaurant is set up for success.
- Help identify and develop key prep and line cooks.
- Assist Executive Chef with costing menu items as needed.
- Be a key part in helping the General Manager and Executive Chef in developing the marketing plan and executing events to the highest standard.
Food Safety and Planning
- Enforce sanitary practices for food handling, general cleanliness, and maintenance of kitchen and dining areas.
- Ensure compliance with operational standards, company policies, and health department requirements.
- Responsible for ensuring consistent high quality of beverage preparations and service.
- Maintain professional restaurant image, including restaurant cleanliness, proper uniforms, and appearance standards.
- Control food costs by supervising portion control and quantities of preparation to minimize waste.
- Utilize menu change checklists completely, ensuring that we eliminate waste in both food and labor.
Guest Service Hospitality
- Ensure positive guest service related to the culinary team. Respond positively to guest issues during service, taking any and all appropriate actions to care for our guests in any possible way that we can.
- Be present and engaged with your team, both Front of House and Back of House.
- Promote "Yes is the answer!" mentality with the team.
- Ensure that proper security procedures are in place to protect employees, guests and company assets.
- Ensure a safe working and guest environment to reduce the risk of injury and accidents. Completes accident reports promptly in the event that a guest or employee is injured.
- Manage shifts which include: daily decision making, scheduling, planning while upholding standards, product quality and cleanliness.
- Investigate and resolve complaints concerning food quality and service.
- Monthly Repair & Maintenance Walk-Throughs
- Schedule and follow up on Preventative Maintenance on equipment as directed by the Executive Chef.
- Daily walk-throughs of kitchen and any guest-facing areas to ensure that everything looks great for our guests.
- Provide direction to employees regarding operational and procedural issues.
- Lead with positivity and hospitality to our teams and co-workers.
- Interview hourly employees. Direct hiring, supervision, development and, when necessary, termination of employees.
- Continue the team's on-going education by continuing your education in food, techniques, and trends in the food and dining scene.
- Develop employees by providing ongoing feedback, establishing performance expectations and by conducting quarterly performance reviews.
- Maintain an accurate and up-to-date plan of restaurant staffing needs. Prepare schedules and ensure that the restaurant is staffed for all shifts.
- Ensure a healthy, safe, and harassment-free work environment.
- Identify and develop key players while helping develop those who struggle.
- Provide presence in the local community and high level of community involvement.
- Be a positive role model in the community inside & outside of the restaurant.
- Keeps Executive Chef promptly and fully informed of all issues (i.e. problems, unusual matters of significance and positive events) and takes prompt corrective action where necessary or suggests alternative courses of action. Completes job responsibilities and performance objectives in a timely and effective manner and in accordance with Crafted Concepts policies and procedures.
- Maintains a favorable working relationship with all Crafted Concepts team members to foster and promote a cooperative and positive working climate which will be conducive to maximum employee morale, productivity and efficiency/effectiveness.
- Performs other duties and responsibilities as required or requested.