Under the general guidance of the Chef De Cuisine, responsible for coordinating, supervising and directing all aspects of the restaurant’s food production, while maintaining profitable Food and Beverage operations and high quality products and service levels. He/she is expected to provide training for all staff, meet corporate quality standards, consistency and integrity of the products, establish and enforce food specifications, portion control, recipes and sanitation. The Sous Chef is also responsible for controlling food and labor costs while maximizing guest satisfaction.
Duties & Functions
- Must love and support their TEAM!
- Must love and take care of guests!
- Must say “yes” and “thank you” often!
- Exhibits culinary talents by personally performing tasks while leading the staff and managing all food related systems
- Role models company quality standards and service
- Ensures that all equipment and facilities are in good working order and is properly maintained
- Is responsible for ordering products to ensure all par levels are maintained.
- Supervises and carries out the correct procedure of preparations, presentation and portion control for all raw and cooked foods in accordance with Company standards and food regulations
- Will work with other chefs in order to ensure the kitchen is running as smoothly and efficiently as possible
- Follow procedures for covering, labeling, dating and storing food in a timely manner
- Ability to work under time constraints and meet department deadlines
- Constantly growing and coaching lower management and staff
- Provides clear direction and achievable goals for their entire team
- Fully supportive of and cognizant of all Corporate Programs
- Understands and enforces federal, state and local food sanitation regulations
- Communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing, to provide clear direction to the venue teams.
- Communicate with employees using a positive and clear speaking voice, listen to and understand requests, respond with appropriate actions and provide accurate information.
- Remain calm and alert, especially during emergency situations and/or heavy restaurant activity, serving as a role model for team and other employees. Interact with other department personnel and venue staff as needed.
- Make decisions and take actions based on previous experience and good judgment, sometimes revising procedures to accommodate unusual situations.
- Develop and implement cost saving and profit enhancement measures within your scope of responsibility.
To be aware of and ensure constant compliance with all necessary operational policies including:
- Health and Safety
- Food Hygiene
- Emergency Procedures
- Liquor Licensing
In addition to performance of the essential functions, this position may be required to perform a combination of the following supportive functions, with the percentage of time performing each function to be solely determined by the supervisor based upon the particular requirements of the company.
- Attend mandatory meetings including divisional meetings, staff meetings, etc.
- Participate in community events and ensure corporate social responsibility goals of sbe are met.
- Utilize traditional software programs such as Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint), Micros, ADP, Open Table and any departmental specific systems used.
- Keep work area clean and organized.
- Ensure confidential documents are kept in a secured area.
- When disposing confidential documents that contain any personally identifiable information, they must be shredded or pulverized.
- Complete other duties as assigned by the Ownership or Corporate Offices.
- Demonstrate positive leadership characteristics, which inspire Team Members to meet and exceed standards.
- Ensure that all staff follows and are in compliance with sbe’s policies and procedures.
Assimilate into sbe’s culture through understanding, supporting and participating in all sbe elements. Demonstrate working knowledge of the service standards.
Regular attendance in conformance with the standards, which may be established by sbe from time to time, is essential to the successful performance of this position.
Due to the cyclical nature of the hospitality industry, employees may be required to work varying schedules to reflect the business needs of the property.
SPECIFIC JOB KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
The individual must possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities and be able to explain and demonstrate that he or she can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation.
- High School Diploma or equivalent required
- Minimum three (3+) years of experience in a supervisory role in a restaurant kitchen; Sous Chef preferred
- Must be at least 21 years of age or older
- Must have strong leadership skills and the ability to mentor and energize a diverse team of culinary professionals
- Must have excellent organizational skills, ability to function under time constraints, expedite and meet deadlines with attention to detail
- Must be able to work in a fast- paced, customer service driven environment
- Current experience in the hospitality industry in a kitchen
- Active in furthering of his/her own culinary development
- Proven team leader with a high level of energy and motivation with a proven track record of living the company's values
- An intermediate to proficient understanding of Computer systems such as: Opera, GoConcierge, HotSOS, Microsoft Word, Excel & Outlook is preferred
- Enter and locate work related information using computers and/or point of sale systems
- Ability to spend extended lengths of time viewing a computer screen
- Possess a gracious, friendly, and fun demeanor
- Ability to multitask, work in a fast-paced environment and have a high level attention to detail
- Maintain positive and productive working relationships with other employees and departments
- Ability to work independently and to partner with others to promote an environment of teamwork
- Must be able to stand or walk a minimum eight-hour shift.
- Must be able observant and quick to respond to various situations while also multitasking and handling stressful situations.
- Must be able to twist, tow (push or pull), reach, bend climb and carry objects as necessary.
- Must have excellent communication skills and be able to read, write, speak and understand English.
- Must be able to work inside and outside at all times of the year as needed, based upon business volumes.
- Knowledge of federal, state and local laws governing equal employment opportunity and civil rights, occupational safety and health, wage and hour issues, and labor relations
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) may be required when performing work duties that may have the potential of risk to your health or safety. The restaurant will provide the required PPE. Team members will be trained in the proper use and care of any assigned PPE. It is your responsibility to report defective, damaged or lost PPE, or equipment that does not fit properly, to your Manager.
All employees must maintain a neat, clean and well-groomed appearance. Specific uniform guidelines and/or required articles of clothing will be explained to you as a part of the orientation process.
Additional language ability preferred.