SUMMARY:The Sous Chef assists the Kitchen Chef in making certain all operations of the Prairie Berry Kitchen and brewery food service run smoothly, follows the health code, meets, and makes sure all others are meeting, our Prairie Berry food quality expectations. The Sous Chef prepares all items for the daily menu and assists in managing the Food Prep staff in the absence of the Kitchen Chef. The Sous Chef leads by example and exemplifies the Prairie Berry values. The Sous Chef, although part of a shared Hill City Kitchen team, has a focus on the Prairie Berry Kitchen and brewery food service.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:The following reflects management’s definition of essential functions for this job but does not restrict the tasks that may be assigned. Management may assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons. Duties include, but are not limited to:
Team Leadership: 30%
- Assist in managing the Food Prep staff, overseeing daily operations and maintenance of the Kitchen(s) under the direction of the Kitchen Chef
- Pro-actively adjusts schedule according to staff and business needs and keeps the Chef abreast of any changes to a weekly schedule.
- Provides daily guidance to kitchen staff and holds staff accountable to stated expectations.
- Regularly communicates with Kitchen Chef to ensure quality is being realized and all staff are clear regarding the duties expected of them
- Communicate clearly with managers, coworkers, and other personnel
- Positively respond to requests for assistance from co-workers, supervisors, and customers
- Treat customers and co-workers with courtesy and respect
- Notice when help is needed in all areas of the Kitchen, assist in facilitating success.
Kitchen and Brewery Food Service: 70%
- All aspects of food preparation and presentation, ensuring all plates/products leaving the kitchen meet our high standards
- Prepare menu items ordered by Tasting Room and Miner Brewing guests in an efficient and timely manner
- Follow sanitation and serving procedures
- Management/rotation of all perishable and dry good food items
- Restock all items as needed throughout the shift
- Knows and follows opening and closing procedures and holds self and others accountable to them.
- Wash dishes when a dishwasher is not present
- Has understanding and knowledge to properly use and maintain all kitchen equipment
- Understands and follows all safety procedures in the kitchen
- Clean and maintain Kitchen and storage areas while practicing good safety, sanitation, and organizational skills Understands the importance of inventory procedures and assists the Kitchen Chef in following these procedures including end of month inventory count and reporting
- Find work to do when slow
- Completes Training Passport within the stated timeframes
- All other duties as assigned