We have a great opportunity for an experienced Sous Chef to assist in leading our Culinary team to excellence. This position oversees the operations of all dining venues for our Residents, both in Independent Living and in our Sonora Health Center. This position is a working chef/supervisor that is responsible for the consistent production of meals in the restaurant(s) or event(s) within the community. The sous chef is the second in command in the kitchen and is required to manage the entire kitchen operation in the absence of the executive chef. This position must be familiar with all concepts, practices, standards, procedures, regulations, local, national and within the organization. The sous chef must have extensive experience and judgment to plan, accomplish goals, and lead and direct others. Creates meaningful moments in the lives of residents, visitors, and staff by demonstrating EMI eliminatiing my impossibilities.
The shift is primarily 12:00 p.m. to 8:00 pm. but may vary depending upon business needs.
Culinary degree or equivalent certification preferred.
- A primary culinarian in the operation, responsible for all aspects which begin with but are limited to being a working chef, who actually handles the product and is equally strong as a leader. This positions cooks most of every day.
- Ensures consistent preparation and timely delivery of quality food to residents, guests, family members and staff.
- Ensures adherence to safe food handling, proper personal hygiene and sanitation procedures, according with local, national and organizational standards.
- Monitors all food production time and temperature procedures in accordance with Hazzard Analysis Critical Control Points (HACCP) guidelines.
- Provides on-going supervision, coaching, mentoring and training of culinary staff
- Monitors, guides and trains the safe operations of kitchen equipment,
- Monitors, guides and trains the culinary team to correctly perform opening and closing sanitation side work.
- Works in conjunction with executive chef to develop and supervise daily food production plan
- Checks periodically that the culinary team is accomplishing the projected production plan and makes adjustments as needed.
- Can lead the daily production meeting with the culinary team in the absence of the executive chef
- Can represent the culinary team in the absence of the executive chef at the daily menu meeting for service staff
- Monitors all storerooms, refrigerators and freezers to determine that all product is in its appropriate zone, wrapped, labeled and dated
- Assures that quality portion controls are maintained during food production to minimize waste and over production
- Observes and monitors restaurant(s) a la carte service and assists in maintaining a smooth operation, expedites when needed
- Places food orders if and when needed from appropriate food purveyors to ensure pars for service in accordance with approved departmental budget
- Will be responsible for closing all culinary operations based on physical plant and based on scheduling to ensure that staff have completed the appropriate daily sanitation side work
- Based on the community size can supervise in multiple venue
Splendido is a Life Plan Community for those age 55 and better. Thanks to our creative and dedicated staff, we offer residents new possibilities each day—along with resort amenities, numerous options for healthy lifestyles, and a breathtaking location in Oro Valley, Arizona. Splendido includes 246 Terrace and Villa Homes, as well as assisted living, memory care, long-term care, and rehab housing and services, along with multiple restaurants, a fitness center, art studio, a putting green, and more.
Splendido is located at 13500 Rancho Vistoso Boulevard in Oro Valley/Tucson.
What We Offer:
Mather LifeWays offers a competitive benefits package* that goes above and beyond. Benefits-eligible employees can take advantage of:
- 401(k) program with strong employer match
- Generous paid-time off (PTO) program including vacation days, sick days, personal days, and holidays. Earn-as-you-go plan that rolls over year to year, offering flexibility
- Medical benefits with PPO options
- Optional dental HMO or PPO insurance
- Tuition reimbursement promoting lifelong learning
- Employee wellness programs, including free annual wellness screening
- Learning to Age Well Program – employees can be reimbursed up to $130 per year for completion of classes such as music lessons, yoga, or foreign language classes
- Short- and long-term disability insurance
- Life insurance - 100% coverage by Mather LifeWays
- 501(c)3 public student loan forgiveness program
- Discounted Employee meals
*Benefits are subject to change without notice. Benefits details dependent on employment status.
Expectations of Mather LifeWays Employees:
- The ability to work well in a team environment
- Effective interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills
- The ability to establish and maintain relationships with residents, customers, and coworkers
- The ability to learn new tasks and information and apply to serving others
- A commitment to delivering on responsibilities
- Reliability, professionalism, and a strong work ethic
About Mather LifeWays:
Based in Evanston, Illinois, Mather LifeWays is a unique, non-denominational not-for-profit organization founded in 1941. Dedicated to developing and implementing Ways to Age Well, we create programs, places, and residences for today’s young-at-heart older adults. These include senior living residences (The Mather, Mather Place, and Splendido); a variety of community-based initiatives; and Mather LifeWays Institute on Aging, a resource for research and information about aging, trends and innovations in aging services, and more.
Mather LifeWays values employees and is serious about supporting their health and professional development. We’ve been named one of “Chicago’s Top Workplaces” by the Chicago Tribune for four years in a row, and have been recognized as Illinois’ Healthiest Midsize Employer.
Mather LifeWays is a drug-free and smoke free workplace and an Equal Opportunity Employer.
If this sounds like you, then please apply for this position. When applying, please include all work history. List your employers, starting with the most current/recent, including self-employment. Please do not state "refer to resume."