Who we are
The Spaceship Company (TSC) is an affiliate of Virgin Galactic as a space-system manufacturing organization. Headquartered at Mojave Air and Space Port in Mojave, California, it is building and testing a fleet of WhiteKnightTwo carrier aircraft and SpaceShipTwo reusable spaceships that, together, form Virgin Galactic’s human spaceflight system. Like many Virgin companies across the world, its team of over 400 talented and dedicated engineers, technicians and professionals are drawn together by a willingness to disrupt and challenge the status quo and deliver innovative aerospace solutions to our customers’ needs. TSC’s extensive capabilities encompass preliminary vehicle design and analysis, manufacturing, ground testing, flight testing and post-delivery support.
Our ValuesTSC and the greater Virgin Organization have a relaxed and informal culture that encourages individuality and innovation. You will be motivated, enterprising and enthusiastic. Company culture is such that you need to be able to “check your ego at the door”, be a self-starter and possess a sense of humility. You will work well under pressure and thrive on being given challenges and responsibility. You will communicate clearly and be confident and persuasive. You will have a high level of integrity and understand the need of complete confidentiality.
Who You Are
TSC is seeking a first rate aerospace propulsion design engineer with experience in composite design and production manufacturing. The primary task for the person in this role will be to develop engineering definition for components and subsystems in the hybrid propulsion system of SpaceShipTwo. Engineers in this position will also be expected to review planned manufacturing procedures to ensure compliance with design specifications and intentions, support test definition for verification testing of components and subsystems, and manage components and subsystems through their full lifecycle.
- Works with Spaceship Propulsion team to develop designs for Spaceship Propulsion systems
- Develops rapid prototypes for evaluation throughout design development process
- Develops 3D CAD models and 2D engineering definition for detail parts, assemblies, and installations inside SpaceShipTwo.
- Establishes manufacturing tolerances for production of components
- Develops and documents system requirements and interface constraints for components
- Coordinates with Analysis and Testing departments to ensure component performance in flight environments
- Supports test definition to verify that components and manufacturing processes meet design intent and engineering requirements
- Participates in the review, approval, and release process of engineering definition
- Supports creation and review of manufacturing plans to ensure compliance with design requirements and company processes
- Supports components throughout full lifecycle from prototype to final acceptance as well as modifications and repairs after installation
- Uses engineering judgment to evaluate manufacturing issues and disposition nonconformance reports (NCR)
What you bring
- Bachelor’s degree in Aerospace or Mechanical Engineering from an accredited institution, with a minimum of 5 years relevant industry experience
- Proficient with CATIA V5
- Experience using GD&T and ASME Y14.5M-1994 drafting standards
- Knowledge of manufacturing methods for various materials (tube bending, composite layup, metal machining, 3D printing, bonded assembly, Mechanical assembly)
- Experience designing for aerospace environments desired
- Experience in the development of human spaceflight hardware desired
- Experience with Product Lifecycle Management (PLM) software and configuration management processes
- Excellent organizational, communication and problem solving skills
- Strong computer skills, including Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel and Powerpoint
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
The Spaceship Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with The Spaceship Company is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.