Support Staff/Teaching Assistant - Special Education
Monroe Middle School
Starting Hourly Rate: Grade LTA, 1 $11.63
Work days/year: 178
Position: Special Education Aide (Middle School Level)
Reports to: Classroom Teacher/ Building Principal
Summary of Position: The Special Education Aide assists teachers in meeting the needs of special education students. The primary focus is to assist and enhance the educational process of students with disabilities in both instructional and non-instructional activities.
The State of Illinois requires Special EducationTeaching Assistantsto have one of the following:
1.Current IllinoisEducator License with Stipulations(ELS)
2. Current Illinois Professional Educator License (PEL)
3.Current Illinois Substitute Teaching License
Educator License with Stipulations: Endorsed as a Paraprofessional Educator (If you do not already hold a Teaching/Substitute License)$100.00 for the application fee and $30.00 registration fee=Total $160.00 for initial license, $25 registration for renewal. Valid for 6 years for initial. Renewal valid for 5 years.
- A submitted application and application fee in the Educator Licensure Information System (ELIS) (www.isbe.net/elis); and
- Applicants can submit documents (High School Diploma, Transcripts and or Score Report) to the DuPage Regional Office of Education to be scanned into their file. Certification Specialist, DuPage Regional Office of Education, 421 N. County Farm Road, Wheaton, IL 60187, (630) 407-5794.
- Register new license with registration fee through the ISBE website: Click on Renew or Register your Credentials
*Note: To be official transcripts must be submitted in an envelope sealed by the college or university or be sent directly by the institution. Transcripts received that are not in a sealed envelope from the university or not sent directly from the university will be considered unofficial and cannot be used for evaluation purposes.
Requirements: One (1) of the following three (2) options must be demonstrated:
|Completed 60 semester hours of college credit at a regionally accredited institution of higher education.|
To Apply you will need:
|An associate degree (or higher) at a regionally accredited institution of higher education.|
To Apply you will need:
- Have the ability to work effectively with children.
- Have the ability to function within the framework of the school environment.
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills.
- Working knowledge of:
- Child guidance principles and practices.
- Behavior management and positive reinforcement.
- Classroom procedures and appropriate conduct.
- Basic record keeping methods.
- Mechanical lifting/positioning devices.
- Assist with providing a variety of activities for a balanced program of instruction, giving students opportunity to observe, question and investigate.
- Reinforce information following a lesson.
- Works with students individually or in small groups in academic studies, basic life skills and other assigned instruction.
- Implements behavior modification plans and procedures designed for individual students when necessary.
- Maintain confidentiality regarding students.
- Maintain positive relationships with all students, school staff and parents.
- Observes and records student’s progress.
- Assists individual or groups of students during activities including lunch and getting children safely on and off bus.
- Assist with hygiene and toileting activities which might include transferring and lifting students. Sanitize classroom and equipment using approved materials.
While performing the duties of this job the employee is regularly required to sit, stand, walk, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch and crawl. The employee will experience occasional lifting and or moving up to 100 lbs, such as lifting a child from the floor. The employee must be able to push/pull items up to 100 lbs., such as children in wheelchairs.
Hazards- Potential exposure to communicable disease and contact with blood and other body fluids; potential exposure to physical injury from aggressive behavior.