Specialist, Control Equipment - (Aurora, North Carolina, U.S.A.)
At Nutrien, our Purpose is to grow our world from the ground up and we do so with safety and integrity as our core values. Nothing is more important than sending our people home safe, every day.
Nutrien is a leading provider of agricultural products, services, and solutions. With approximately 20,000 employees world-wide, we are the largest producer of potash (by capacity) and one of the world’s largest producers of nitrogen and phosphate. We also operate a leading agriculture retail network that services over 500,000 growers.
We harvest the best. Diverse views and experience make us strong. We look for people who have a safety-first mindset, who are collaborative team players, who deliver on their commitments, who are innovators in search of a better way, and who believe in inclusion.
Working at Nutrien will provide you an opportunity to help us Feed the Future, and grow your career.
Reports to the department's Control Equipment Supervisor.
What you will do:
- Design and supervise operation and maintenance of electrical and mechanical instruments and control equipment necessary for the safe and efficient operation of all the various plants on this location
- Assist in programming and making program modifications for computer control systems (includes: Honeywell, Rockwell, Drive systems etc.)
- Write specifications for selection of new instrumentation and spare part stock
- Train Nutrien personnel in the operation and maintenance of computer controlled instrumentation
- Assist in the formulation and the subsequent implementation-of the plan for process automation for all operating areas
- Assist in preventative maintenance, repairs and installation of equipment associated with the Power Distribution System (includes: Transformers, Main Substation, 230 KV Circuits and Switch Gear, High Voltage Section of the Turbogenerator, 23 KV Switch Houses, Power Lines, and Plant Grounds)
- Assist all areas with investigating reasons for equipment failures as requested
- Assist in the formulation and subsequent implementation of the OSHA STAR Program
- Train Nutrien personnel to improve performance and acquaint them with policies and procedures
- Function as a technical adviser and / or a team member to Chemical Plants and Maintenance I/E Teams
- Inspect projects, plants, and equipment on a routine basis. This requires moderate exertion to climb ladders, stairs, inclined walkways and to walk on uneven terrain
What you will bring:
Bachelor of Science in Instrumentation, Electrical or Mechanical Engineering or equivalent.
- This position requires a working knowledge of chemical plant operations to effectively apply instrumentation skills to successfully perform the job functions
- Working knowledge of current process control technology in the areas of servers and networking
- Knowledge of and experience in the process control networking protocols and hardware
- Knowledge of software used in the process control environment
- "Hands-on" experience in design, installation and startup of instrumentation systems is essential
- Skills include knowledge of test procedures and test equipment, an understanding of computer control and hardware, familiarization with control logic, and a solid background in electronics
- This knowledge is best obtained by attending vendor and institutional training schools and seminars and then applying those skills on the job
- Although this position will not be classified as an Engineer, it will be possible to achieve an Engineer status by passing state certification tests and accrediting job experience
- "Hands-on" experience in design, installation and startup of electrical systems is essential. Skills include knowledge of test procedures and test equipment, an understanding of the electrical distribution system, motors, infra-red scanning, air conditioning, and a solid background in electronics (this knowledge is best obtained by attending vendor or institutional training schools or seminars and then applying those skills on the job)
- Must be open to change in a varying work environment like the one you find in the I/E Maintenance Department
Are you a good match? Apply today!
Nutrien is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to creating an inclusive workplace. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics
This job will remain posted until filled. In accordance with Nutrien policies, you will be required to undergo a background check and may be required to undergo a substance test. While we appreciate all applications we receive, only candidates under consideration will be contacted.
To stay connected to us and for the latest job postings and news, follow us on: LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter
**EOE race/color/sex/sexual orientation/gender identity/disability/veteran