Functions as a Lead of the healthcare team, coordinates departmental operations that ensure quality patient care in a safe, healing environment that is patient and family centered. Demonstrates responsibility and accountability for own professional practice. Has appropriate clinical skills to be an expert resource. Is available and supportive to employees and understands priorities/needs of the department. Is a staff role model for professional nursing practice. May recommend to management in efficient resource allocation by assuring appropriate patient assignments, staffing, and scheduling. Demonstrates performance consistent with the strategic plan of the organization and the KP nursing mission and values.
- The Charge Registered Nurse demonstrates proficiency by exhibiting the following skills, competencies,&behaviors:
- Leadership: Directs reviews, assigns&organizes the work of at least three (3) or more employees, of which at leastone (1) must be another Registered Nurse.Applies the KP Nursing mission, vision, values&behaviors in daily practice. Understands needs&sets priorities for the department.Provides professionalleadership&direction of department personnel in order to maintain efficient delivery of effective patient care. Coordinates departmental operations&delegates tasks appropriately. Is an excellent staff role model for professional nursing practice (e.g. RN/MD Collaborating for Outcomes, Just Culture, Quality,Service, Safety). Supports&enhances the leadership skills of the staff RNs, LVNs&UAs/CNAs (&otherancillary staff as appropriate).Upholds compliance with Kaiser Permanente's Policies&Procedures, Principles of Responsibilities, applicable state&federal laws®ulations,&accreditation&licensure requirements.Upholds the standards of the California Nurse Practice Act, American Nurses Association(ANA) Standards of Nursing Practice,&ANA Code of Ethics for Nurses. Champions new ideas; Actively collaborates with others through the change process. Acts as a resource, preceptor&mentor to new employees, registry, students,&other team members in department specific operations&patient care activities. Collaborates with or refers to manager/clinical nurse specialist/educator any outstanding issues or concerns on the unit. Demonstrates ability to identify&resolve problems in collaboration with work team&with other departments. Ensures compliance with regulatory requirements, policies, procedures,&standards of practice. Participates in activities related to patient flow, including admission&discharge rocesses. Facilitates inter-professional/interdisciplinary communication&collaboration.
- Nursing Process: Serves as a resource for clinical concerns, scope of practice&applicable state&federal regulations as well as operational concerns of providers&staff. Possesses experience&skills to be a resource for providers, RNs, LVNs, USs/CNAs, (&other ancillary staff as appropriate). Demonstrates flexibility in work schedule to meet the department dem&s of the day; facilitates&relieves staff breaks. Actively involved in assigning, orienting,&precepting&coaching staff as needed.
- Documentation: Conducts audits&ensures that documentation reflects thorough assessments, incorporates physical&psychosocial findings, diagnostic tests, learning needs, barriers, multidisciplinary education plans&age appropriate care.
- Clinical Outcomes: Participates/leads various aspects of department operations, staff competencies, department committees, Unit Based Teams (UBTs), new projects, quality efforts,&educational programs. Demonstrates knowledge of patients' specific conditions commonly seen in the department&care required. Interfaces with leadership, peers, physicians, other healthcare providers,&support staff regarding performance, as necessary. Actively participates, champions&motivates other staff in quality improvement in patient care, workflow,&improvement in clinical initiatives&working conditions of the department. Provides input on employees' performance evaluations through daily observation&monitoring of performance.
- Workplace Safety: Adjusts staffing needs of the department to assure quality patient care, patient&staff safety, efficiency, productivity&working conditions of providers&staff. Actively models Labor-Management Partnership (LMP) Workplace Safety principles&practices.
- Patient Care Experience/Customer Service: Acts as a role model for staff regarding providing a patient care experience that exceeds members' expectations. Ensures timely&appropriate management of patients. Coordinates smooth transition for patients across the care continuum. Participates in daily leadership rounds, documents rounding activities on unit rounding logs (as appropriate.). Assures hourly rounds are conducted by staff. Where appropriate, assures hourly rounds are documented according to unit/facility policy or guidelines.
- Team Commitment: Ensures support of the collaborative LMP environment through unit based teams (UBTs). Identifies&supports staff professional/clinical development needs (i.e. certification, presentations, reward/recognition). Motivates staff to attain their fullest potential in improving performance, attendance,access, service&quality outcomes. Lead/facilitate daily/shift multidisciplinary huddles. Assures huddle messages are consistently communicated. Confronts difficult or conflict situations constructively&seeks appropriate assistance.
- Fiscal Responsibility: Participates in resource allocation (assignments, scheduling, staffing, equipment/suppliesmanagement). Collaborates&assists with leadership, physicians,&peers in staffing, workflow&throughput to promote quality patient care, patient&staff safety, efficiency, productivity&working conditions of providers&staff.
- Professional Development: Attends Charge Nurse Educational programs. Takes responsibility for professional growth&development.
- Current and valid California Board of Registered Nursing (BRN) Registered Nursing license.
- BLS certification.
- One (1) year recent (within the last 3 years) full-time equivalent experience in an acute hospital Operating Room or Surgicenter, including circulating on a variety of surgical procedures in multiple specialties, or successful completion of a KP Operating Room course or approved equivalent within prior 12 months.
- Ability to scrub as required.
- Ability to take call within a 30 minute response time.
- Rotating Weekends