Student Support Services/Special Education Self-Contained
- Must hold a valid MS Educator License with the endorsement codes: 221 & 910.
- Job Title:Special Education Teacher for Middle School
Reports To:Director of Special Services & School Principal
The Special Education Teacher serves as a specialist to support students who are found eligible for special education services. The teacher works in a program designed toprovidea less restrictive alternative to the segregated special classroom. It provides anappropriateeducational program for mild to moderately handicapped students whorequiresupport servicesin order toaccess and benefit from general education instruction. The teacher provides students with direct remedial instruction in academic subjects, cognitive processing, andappropriatesocial skills. In addition to these specific individualized programs, the staff mayassistgeneral education classroom teachers through co-teaching, team teaching and withthe selection ofappropriate curricula andthe development ofbehavior management programs. Students enrolled in the special services classes receivethe majority oftheir educational instruction within the general education curriculum and setting.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Special Education
- Musthaveandmaintaina valid license through the Mississippi Department of Education in special education and multi-subject endorsementsappropriatefor the student whowill be taught.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Meet District, State, and Federal Requirements, including; Displays knowledge ofprocedures, policies, and regulations, incorporates requirements into work habits, follows correctiveprocedures, Maintains proper andsufficientdocumentation.
- Conduct Specialized Student Assessments and Evaluations, including; Is well-versed in a multitude of measurement techniques, selects appropriate measurement tools, isaccurateand complete in clerical aspects of measurement, clearly communicates analysis of results and recommendations clearly.
- Establish and Facilitate Meetings and Discussions, including; Identifies situations requiring group discussion, Organizes and facilitates effective meetings, involving all participants, follows up and monitors any intended actions and outcomes.
- Consult with Others to Develop Plan that Guides Appropriate Instruction and Other Services for Students, including; Works effectively as a member of a team, contributes creative solutions to problems, assumes case management responsibilities when necessary, uses training and experience to support classroom instruction.
- Utilize Support Personnel, including; Determines skills and abilities of assigned supportpersonnel, Delegates duties toprovidethe most effective opportunities for students, Monitors the effectiveness of the supportpersonneland provides direction and training as needed, supervises interns as needed.
- Demonstrates Responsiveness in Supporting Teachers’ Instructional Needs, including; Supports instruction by being aware of teachers’ resource needs, searches out and provides, or makes teachers aware of, available andappropriatelearning resources, Consults with teachersregardingappropriateuse of resources.
- Provide Effective Direct Service to Students, Families, and Colleagues, including; Takes initiative in determining needed services, provides developmentally appropriate face-to-face services, based on the staff member’s recognized level of competence, displays unconditionally positive regard withindividualsfroma wide variety ofbackgrounds, displays flexibility in the nature andlocationof services provided, Communicates skillfully to each audience.
- Engages in the Determination of and Provision of Primary Prevention Activities When Needed, including; Recognizes the need for prevention, involves others in the planning and delivery of prevention activities, Performs prevention, follow-up, and program evaluation activities.
- Create and/or Coordinate School-wide or Community Programs to Support Students and Families, including; Demonstrates thorough knowledge of a variety of developmental assets, resiliency/protective factors, and related community supports, engages in a variety of activities to create programs that support students and families, evaluates intended outcomes of programs created.
- Participate in professional in-service and ongoing training to further develop specialized skills.
- Fulfills all other related duties as assigned.
- Fulfills working conditions and physical effort listed below.
- Demonstratesproficiencyin planning and preparation of instruction for students.
- Createan environment ofrespect and create a culture of learning through proficient classroomproceduresandappropriatemanagement of student behavior.
- Demonstrates proficient strategies for instruction, including; communication with students, using questioning techniques, use of engagement strategies and demonstrating flexibility and responsiveness to student instructional needs.
- Demonstrates professional responsibilities, including; reflecting on teaching, maintaining accurate records, communication with families, participating in a professional learning
The physical demands described here are representative of those thatmust bemet by an employee toperformthe essential functions of this job successfully. Reasonableaccommodationsmay bemade to enableindividualswith disabilities toperformthe essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee isfrequentlyrequired to stand, walk; sit; use hands for fine manipulation, handle or feel and reach with hands and arms using a keyboard and video display terminal. The employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must regularly lift and move up to 55 pounds and occasionally up to 75 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonableaccommodationsmay bemade to enableindividualswith disabilities toperformthe essential functions. The work environment is a standard office setting and school/classroom combined with a server room. The noise level in the work environment is usually low to moderate and occasionally handicapped.