Hennepin Healthcare is an integrated system of care that includes HCMC, a nationally recognized Level I Adult and Pediatric Trauma Center and acute care hospital. The comprehensive healthcare system includes a 484 bed academic medical center, a large outpatient Clinic & Specialty Center, and a network of primary and specialty care clinics in Minneapolis and in suburban communities. Hennepin Healthcare has a large psychiatric program, home care and hospice, and operates a research institute, innovation center and philanthropic foundation.
We are currently seeking a Speech Language Pathologist to join our team. This part time role will work 64 hours within a two week pay period.
Under general supervision, an employee in this job class performs work in a licensed professional position providing diagnostic, treatment, and education services to patients with communication and swallowing disorders of functional or organic etiologies.
- Provide direct clinical services utilizing a wide range of standardized and impressionistic techniques to evaluate patients with communication, cognitive, and swallowing disorders (e.g., aphasia, apraxia of speech, dysarthria, oropharyngeal dysphagia, specific reading or writing disorders, impaired visual or auditory perception, and disorders of articulation of speech, fluency (stuttering), alaryngeal speech or vocal quality). Includes patients across the age spectrum from neonates to geriatric
- Upon completion of competency training, use instrumentation such as videofluoroscopy, endoscopy or stroboscopy to observe, collect data and measure parameters of communication and swallowing and when clinically appropriate, application of a topical decongestant and/or anesthetic to the patient prior to instrumentation (non-casual positions only)
- Plan and administer a speech-language, cognitive and/or swallowing plan of care
- Document progress through daily progress notes and care plan summaries per department standards
- Provide education and counseling within speech pathology scope of practice for patients and/or family members
- Document the initial evaluation results and/or discharge summaries for outpatients within 48 hours of either event. Inpatient documentation completed on day of service
- Confer with providers, nurses and other ancillary team members as indicated to provide coordinate, high quality patient care
- Complete daily charge entry, inpatient check in and any billing requirements pertaining to specific payers per department standards
- Provide supervision/mentoring for speech pathology graduate students and Clinical Fellows. (non-casual positions only)
- Represent the speech pathology department on committees as assigned. (non-casual positions only)
- Coordinate patient care with other clinical team members ensuring optimal care and communication, as noted in the clinical record
- Strive for excellent patient hand offs when sharing cases or following single day or weekend coverage
- Participate in LEAN process improvement as it relates to patient care and department workflow
- Orient and mentor new staff members
- Maintain and enhance personal knowledge, as well as promoting professional standards in speech-language pathology. (Maintain MDH Licensure by reporting 30 hours of approved continuing education every 2 years. Maintain Certificate of Clinical Competence by reporting 30 hours of approved continuing education every 3 years.)
- Possession of a Master’s Degree or Doctorate degree in speech-language pathology or communication disorders
Knowledge/ Skills/ Abilities:
- Knowledge of policies/procedures and practice standards consistent with ASHA knowledge and skills, theory and techniques; education and counseling techniques
- Knowledge of instrumental technique for the MBSS, FEES and Videostrobe as appropriate to scope of practice. (non-casual positions only)
- Knowledge of documentation standards consistent with the field of speech pathology
- Commitment to HCMC Centered Around You principals and behaviors and Building Connections principals; integrate into daily work
- Ability to work cooperatively with other members of the medical team
- Ability to interact with individuals of widely diverse lifestyles including ability to deal objectively with individuals whose attitudes and behaviors differ from his/her own
- Possession of Certificate of Clinical Competence (CCC) established by the American Speech-Language and Hearing Association (ASHA)
- Must be holder of Speech Language Pathologist license with Minnesota Department of Health
- CPR for Healthcare Professionals certification
You've made the right choice in considering Hennepin Healthcare for your employment. We offer a wealth of opportunities for individuals who want to make an impact in our patients' lives. We are dedicated to providing Equal Employment Opportunities to both current and prospective employees. We are driven to connect talented individuals with life-changing career opportunities, enabling you to provide exceptional care without exception. Thank you for considering Hennepin Healthcare as a future employer.
Please Note: Offers of employment from Hennepin Healthcare are conditional and contingent upon successful clearance of all background checks and pre-employment requirements.