We’re looking for a sports editor to direct coverage of pro, college and high school sports in a dynamic, high-energy sports market. The sports editor will work collaboratively with our sports teams across McClatchy’s Carolinas newsrooms to develop compelling and essential sports journalism for our readers. The ability to collaborate effectively is essential.
Our sports editor must have a strong understanding of how to grow digital readership and strengthen engagement in a competitive pro sports and Division I college market. Our major readership drivers in North Carolina include UNC-Chapel Hill, Duke, NC State University, the Carolina Hurricanes, Carolina Panthers, Charlotte Hornets, NASCAR and a broad stretch of high school sports. This position will most likely be based in Raleigh at The News & Observer.
The sports editor will work closely with our North Carolina senior sports editor to lead our collective sports teams in proactively breaking news on their beats, elevating our day-to-day coverage and identifying exclusive high-end enterprise that drives loyalty with our readers. He or she will succeed by being a strong coach for both early-career writers and sportswriting veterans.
Collaboration across newsrooms is vital, as well as effective teamwork with colleagues in advertising, product development and audience growth.
Education and knowledge: College degree required. Minimum of three years experience leading reporters and directing sports coverage.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Use strong editing skills and excellent news judgment to help shape our sports journalism and get it in front of digital readers.
- Work with reporters and other editors to develop smart short-, mid- and long-term news coverage plans that is essential to sports readers.
- Directly supervise sports reporters and editors and help those staff members build key digital audience skills. Work collaboratively across the newsroom, state and McClatchy to help develop a high-performing North Carolina sports team.
- Use analytics tools to determine effectiveness of strategies and revise as needed to drive our top-level audience goals.
- Use problem-solving skills to negotiate hurdles and identify solutions to stay on course with projects and strategies.
- Coach and mentor staff for improved performance and progress on individual skills, career goals and newsroom and company priorities.