Airbus is an international pioneer in the aerospace industry. We are a leader in designing, manufacturing, and delivering aerospace products, services, and solutions to customers on a global scale. We aim for a better-connected, safer, and more prosperous world.
A commercial aircraft manufacturer, with Space and Defense as well as Helicopters Divisions, Airbus is the largest aeronautics and space company in Europe and a worldwide leader.
Airbus has built on its strong European heritage to become truly international with roughly 180 locations and 12,000 direct suppliers globally. The company has aircraft and helicopter final assembly lines across Asia, Europe, and the Americas, and has achieved a more than sixfold order book increase since 2000.
Sr. Aircraft Technician - Sheet metal will perform work on assigned aircraft, assemblies, and parts in the sheet metal area.
1. Sheetmetal Installation: 80%
- Read detailed plans and diagrams and inspect and measure parts before assembly, making sure parts are free of defects and are the right size.
- Install Sheet metal parts and assemblies in aircraft; assure that installations are attached without endangering aircraft structure or systems operations and functions.
- Cut, grind, or trim parts to fit properly.
- Use tools, such as drills, grinders, and rivet guns to assemble helicopters and parts.
- Fitting and assembling skins, frames, and other components. Work will consist of drilling, fitting, and riveting of the many sub-assemblies of the helicopter, including such items as tail booms and stabilizers
- Follow Engineering Instructions and Company policies.
- Make adjustments or replace parts when needed
- Assist in the development of patterns or templates to simplify manufacturing processes and to assure proper dimensions
- Work with inspectors to run tests to determine whether the parts are assembled properly
- Cut, file, drill, and ream metal, plastic, and rubber sections to prepare them for fastening
2. Manufacturing Parts: 10%
- Perform layout of sheet parts by measuring and marking in preparation for cutting and forming operations
- Cut raw materials allowing for bend requirements, flanges, and crimping.
- Bolt, rivet, or chemically bond parts together
- Follow all OSHA safety and environmental regulations
3. Administrative: 10%
- SAP, Time charging, manage PTB and VAC
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualified Experience / Skills / Training:
- HS diploma or equivalent
- Minimum of six (6) years related experience; some experience may be substituted for education normally acquired in the attainment of an A&P license or a degree directly related to aircraft sheet metal or composite.
- Some trade schools desirable. Basic Manufacturing Skills Classes / Blueprint Reading / Composite
- A&P License
Knowledge, Skills, Demonstrated Capabilities:
- Basic computer skills
- Read, interpret, and follow written technical data
- Familiarity with common sheet metal tools
Communication Skills (Spoken, Written, Influencing, Proficiency in Other Languages):
- Must be able to read, write, and speak English
- 5% Domestic and International
- US Person under ITAR definition (U.S. Citizen, green card holder, or person covered under our existing ITAR license)
Decision Making, Complexity:
- This position has safety-sensitive decisions daily. It also requires decisions that affect the delivery and quality of aircraft.
- Ability to read and understand Engineering Instruction (EI's) and use to determine if work is being performed under EI's requirements.
- Reports to Leads and Supervisor, NHC/Retrofit
Job Dimensions, Contributions to Success:
- Works on and around aircraft whose mechanical assembly is the most important element in the successful delivery and a positive experience for the customer
Nature of Contacts:
- Moderate Communication regularly with internal and external parties
- Onsite: 95%
- Vision: able to see and read a computer screen and other electronic equipment with screens, able to read documents, reports, and engineering drawings. Daily
- Hearing: able to hear to participate in conversations in person and via teleconference or phone and to hear sounds on the production floor including safety warnings or alarms. Daily
- Speaking: able to speak in conversations and meetings, deliver information, and participate in communications. Daily
- Equipment Operation: able to operate most office and personal electronic equipment and some tools including production tools such as hydraulic lifts. Daily
- Carrying: able to carry documents, tools, drawings, electronic equipment up to 30lbs/14kgs. Daily
- Lifting: able to lift documents, tools, drawings, electronic equipment up to 30lbs/14kgs. Daily
- Pushing / Pulling: able to push and pull small office furniture and some equipment and tools. Daily
- Sitting: able to sit for long periods of time in meetings, working on the computer. At least once a month
- Squatting / Kneeling: able to squat or kneel to retrieve or replace items stored on low shelving. Daily
- Standing: able to stand for discussions in offices or on the production floor. Daily
- Travel: able to travel independently and at short notice. 5%
- Walking: able to walk through office and production areas including uneven surfaces. Daily
- Personal Protective Equipment required: Required PPE includes, but is not limited to, Safety Shoes, Safety Glasses, Hearing Protection, Respirators/Masks, and/or Protective Gloves as required by the site and/or customer site
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, age, marital status, pregnancy, genetic information, or another legally protected status
As a leader in our field, Airbus Helicopters, Inc. provides relocation assistance for qualified positions and a comprehensive compensation and benefits package.
As a matter of policy, Airbus Helicopters, Inc. does not sponsor visas for US positions unless specified. Only applicants with current work authorization will be considered.
Airbus Helicopters, Inc. does not offer tenured or guaranteed employment. Employment with Airbus is at-will, meaning either the company or the employee can terminate the employment relationship at any time, with or without cause, with or without notice.
NOTE: Airbus Helicopters, Inc. reserves the right to revise or change job duties and responsibilities as the need arises. This position description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.