Elbit Systems of America – Night Vision is a world leader in night vision technology, with more two million Generation 3 image intensifier tubes produced and providing integrated solutions that meet customers' evolving challenges. During its 60-year production legacy, the company has secured more than 90-night vision related patents and supplies nearly 100 allied countries with their products. The company has more than 500 talented employees and operates in Roanoke, Virginia.
Designs major components or major portions of a functional system to develop or improve products and facilitate manufacturing operations. Utilizes CAD equipment to develop basic data and make preliminary layouts, sketches and notes necessary to present design proposals. Investigates and makes decisions regarding pertinent design factors such as ease of manufacture, availability of materials and equipment, interchangeability, replaceability, strength-weight efficiency, contractual specification requirements and cost. Function as the liaison between R&D, Manufacturing, Purchasing, Quality, Configuration Management, and other key groups. Tasks will include documenting a variety of purchased parts and assemblies by assisting other engineers to create new designs and revise existing designs.
BS Mechanical Engineering with 3+ years equivalent experience
Ability to obtain Security Clearance
- 3+ year’s experience with CAD tools, prefer: Creo Parametric/Pro-E/ using data management tools Windchill/Intralink
- Demonstrated performance in new product development (camera/module packaging a plus) from concept definition to production release
- Must be able to assist in analyzing customer requirements and translate them into mechanical approaches that meet these requirements. Requirements include collecting the voice of the customer and consideration of Human Factors design principles.
- Generate a system mechanical layout including all the components of a thoroughly detailed design using the Creo Parametric CAD system with minimal supervision from a SME.
- Perform component tolerance analyses to ensure component fit and function.
- Participate in the fabrication and inspection of the components for proof of concept and prototype parts with minimal supervision. This includes working with other departments and the SME to aid in supplier and manufacturer selection.
- Prepare for design reviews and present material as part of both internal and external reviews.
- Participate in peer design reviews for the more complex mechanical design approaches.
- Perform initial hands on component assembly and debugging of prototype systems. Assist manufacturing engineer/production during initial production system builds.
- Be able to work with a SME to select the proper materials, material finishes and fabrication processes required to meet stringent performance, environmental and other requirements
- Develop and conduct mechanical tests; a willingness and desire to learn.
- Must be able to obtain a Secret Clearance.
- Must possess basic MS Office skills; Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Perform structural analysis (FEA) using PRO-Mechanica.
- Perform thermal analysis using PRO-Mechanica and/or CFDesign.
- Experience with DFM/A and DTUPC.
- Have a general understanding of complex tolerance analysis via the application of Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T) in accordance with ASME standards