Supported by more than 3,000 employees in nearly 100 locations across the United States, we provide a full continuum of engineering and consulting services, including design, planning, architectural, environmental, construction and program management. Our clients include U.S. federal, state and municipal governments, foreign allied governments, and a wide range of commercial clients. Michael Baker is committed to delivering a standard of excellence that fosters a culture of innovation, collaboration and technological advancement to help solve our clients' complex challenges.
Michael Baker International has addressed bridge design, construction and preservation challenges with innovative and sustainable solutions. Exemplifying its depth and versatility in the bridge space, Michael Baker International, ranked Number 5 by Engineering News-Record in its annual ranking of Bridge Design Firms in the United States, has partnered with clients on a full spectrum of bridge types-from conventional grade separations to major, complex river crossings, including trusses, arches, box girders and cable-stayed bridges.
Under limited supervision, plans, designs and analyzes data on civil engineering projects such as bridges, retaining walls, tunnels, dams and drainage structures.
- Analyzes and performs design of bridge structures and retaining walls using appropriate structural analysis software
- Leads team of junior engineers and drafters in performing design, load rating, and inspection work as well as preparation of contract documents
- Prepare complex studies, construction documents, drawings, maps, reports, details and supporting documentation
- Prepares quantities and construction costs estimates using VDOT procedures.
- Communicates with supervisor and clients regarding project issues
- Conducts project meetings
- Defines scope, schedule and budgets requirements for projects
- Provide input and support strategy for proposals as needed
- Support and initiate marketing efforts
- Maintain task budgets and schedules
- Other duties as assigned
- BSCE degree with structures emphasis, MSCE highly preferred
- 7-12 years of relevant civil/structural engineering experience
- Experience in task management, project management is a plus
- Knowledge of AASHTO LFD & LRFD, AASHTO MBE, and VDOT design codes and standards
- Strong bridge technical experience with the ability to complete projects on time and within budget
- Proficient in bridge design software, including but not limited to:
- LEAP products - Conspan, RC-Pier
- AASHTOWare Bridge Rating
- MIDAS - 3D modeling/analysis (or other similar FEA software such as CSI LARSA or Bridge)
- Experience with Microsoft Office including strong Microsoft Excel skills
MICHAEL BAKER INTERNATIONAL EEO STATEMENT
Michael Baker International is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. Michael Baker International provides equal employment opportunity for all persons, in all facets of employment. Michael Baker International maintains a drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing and background checks. We encourage all qualified applicants to apply for any open position for which they feel they are qualified and all will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship status, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status or any other legally protected status.