Sr. Chemical Engineer
- Job Category
- Engineering & Information Technology
- Fremont, California
- Req. ID
- Job Type
As Tesla continues to expand its business, we’re increasing our dependence on critical materials for batteries. As such, Tesla is looking to build a team of mechanical, chemical and process engineers to help find innovative process pathways to drive down cost and reduce the fundamental cost of battery material synthesis and process equipment.
- Develop schematic and detailed designs for novel chemical processing systems
- Interface with equipment suppliers through concept development, system design iteration, procurement, installation, and acceptance testing
- Develop operating procedures, safety protocols, and maintenance plans for large scale chemical process equipment.
- Support operations teams with achieving productivity and material quality targets on pilot and commercial scale systems.
- Work closely with battery materials R&D team for introduction of novel materials and new process methods at larger scale.
- Experience with design of parts including general dimensions and tolerances
- Basic knowledge of the manufacturing process and rapid prototyping
- 2D/3D CAD software – Solidworks/CATIA or other experience
- Demonstrated ability to think critically and innovate in a dynamic role
- Ability to build a mass/energy balance for a process plant in total or in part
- Knowledge of common chemical processes such as
- Filtration, thermal processing, liquid reactors, crystallizers
- Milling, blending, powder conveying
- Wastewater treatment systems
- Electrochemical processing of materials
- Working knowledge and experience with process simulation software
- BS or MS degree in Chemical Engineering
- 0-3 years of industry experience
- Ability to read and interpret mechanical and electrical drawings and process flow diagrams