Grainger is a broad line, business-to-business distributor of maintenance, repair and operating (MRO) supplies and other related products and services. More than 3.2 million businesses and institutions worldwide rely on Grainger for products such as safety gloves, ladders, motors and janitorial supplies, along with services like inventory management and technical support. These customers represent a broad collection of industries including commercial, government, healthcare and manufacturing. They place orders online, on mobile devices, through sales representatives, over the phone and at local branches. Approximately 5,000 suppliers provide Grainger with more than 1.6 million products stocked in Grainger’s distribution centers and branches worldwide.
The Sr. Data Analyst is responsible for identifying, capturing, analyzing, and managing the company’s data, contributing to better decision-making and planning. He/she provides data analysis including the conceptualization, modeling and presentation of data. Additional responsibilities include supporting information governance in conjunction with Architects and data stewards. They perform a variety of technical tasks related to capturing, managing, and analyzing Grainger’s data. The Sr. Data Analyst excels at turning information into insight and knows how this knowledge supports and enables key decisions and business processes.
Principal Duties & Responsibilities
- Ability to use A3 Thinking to identify the tasks, knowledge, and techniques required to determine and assess proposed solutions to business problems.
- System Development – Analysis work performed to review the current stated solutions used by an organization, to identify the issues, define the requirements, and suggest best possible solutions, in addition to configuration development and testing.
- Continuous Improvement – Analysis work to review current manual or workflow activities and tasks performed by people, functional areas, and systems, which are designed to achieve a specific outcome, while assuring data quality/integrity. Understands relationships, information exchanges/handoffs, procedures, policies, and observations of work performed to achieve specific outcomes. Within the context of the relationship with the business, assures alignment for continuous improvement within the systems landscape.
- Develop financial analyses to support the growth and productivity metrics KPI’s in the business unit through continuous improvement of data extraction and end-user functionality.
- Understand business problems and opportunities in the context of the requirements, recommends, and implements solutions that enable the organization to achieve its goals.
- Document procedures and processes appropriately to build a library of solutions that future business units can leverage.
- Function as a liaison working with stakeholders to elicit, analyze, communicate, and validate requirements for changes to business processes, policies and information systems.
- This role requires providing leadership and guidance in financial matters and the need to interface at very senior levels of the organization. A strong work ethic and results orientation is required to succeed in a fast paced, customer focused environment. Strongteam skills are required to be effective in integrating solutions to support the business going forward.
- Logical/Physical Data Modeling: Able to model complex data structures and systems.
- Data Analysis: Conducts analysis of data from multiple systems.
- Data Cleansing: Performs cleansing and standardization of data.
- Data Migration Planning & Support: Conducts analysis of data sources, data movement, and the development of migration plans.
- End User Training Materials: Updates, maintains, and facilitates existing training materials.
- Problem Solving: Assists in investigating and recommending options for solution
- Communications: Develops communication materials.
- Knowledge Transition: Performs the transition of knowledge from Build to Run.
- Research & Analysis: Conducts industry and internal research and analysis.
Preferred Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Business, or other related field. Or equivalent work experience.
- Requires knowledge of business operations, systems requirements and IT processes and technologies.
- Requires technical, analytical, and interpersonal skills.
- 3 – 6 years of experience within Data Warehousing and Analytics with demonstrable experience in data integration and data warehouse projects.
- Strong experience in SQL coding, including stored procedures, across enterprise data warehouses (e.g. Teradata).
- Strong experience with emerging reporting tools and technologies (e.g. Tableau, BusinessObjects).
- Strong knowledge with big data and related data analytics tools (e.g. R, VBA, Python).
- Broad business knowledge and organizational awareness as well as an understanding of business profitability drivers.
- Experience working in an agile development environment.
- Strong competency in relevant financial skills such as P&L analysis along with other various decision-making financial analysis tools.
- Ability to operate in a complex, rapidly changing environment, and the ability to balance and prioritize work on multiple projects.
- Effective management of data integrity and execution to our customers contributes to the operational and financial success of the organization.
- Through accurate problem identification, determination, and documentation, the position can reduce the mean time to repair for the organization, and influence current/future development efforts through root cause determination.
- Responsible for integrating financial analyses with system-based solutions regardless of that business unit being on SAP or not.
- Directly influences the adoption and implementation of new or improved processes in Grainger’s business departments and application development environment.
- The performance of this position will impact how the department coordinates technology and change throughout the organization.
- Facilitate project lifecycle management; provide high quality analysis based on facts is vital to the process of delivering business system solutions.
- Interfaces with all levels of management within the Finance business units along with the Enterprise Systems organization.
Grainger is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Segment:Database, ERP, Business Intelligence, Data Warehouse, Information Systems, Technology