The Data Science and Analytics COE is responsible for leading the creation and development of the overall strategy and direction of data science and advanced analytics at CDW – including ensuring continuity and seamless extension of existing programs, the development of a short- and long-term vision and roadmap, and defining and institutionalizing the role that data and analytics play throughout the organization as the fuel that drives and shapes CDW’s priorities and serves as an accelerant for CDW’s progress.
The Senior Data Analyst will play an important role in Data Science and AI to foster value creation from the use of the organization's data assets, as well as the external data ecosystem. The responsibilities include value creation through data discovery, envisioning data-enabled strategies and enabling all forms of business insights and outcomes through analytics. The expectation is to identify and report on trends and patterns found within data and make recommendations for business and process improvement.
This position works with business users to understand requirements and meet the data and insight needs. Data Analysis, Conceptual Data Architecture, Data Definitions, Classifications, Certifications, Quality, Business Process Documentation, Semantic Layer Modeling, making the data available in a Common Data Lake are the key functions of this role.
Key Areas of Responsibility
- Partner with business leaders to understand key objectives to design optimized data products.
- Research new and emerging data platforms and trends.
- Collaborate with stakeholders to clarify, prioritize and validate data requirements and business objectives.
- Lead key and strategic initiatives from concept to product levels, not limiting to data analysis, but exploring further on industry best practices and data architecture, driving innovative ideas and data research.
- Lead and perform data quality activities (data quality rule creation, edit checks, identification of issues, root cause analysis, value case analysis, remediation planning, and monitoring).
- Drive improvements to maximize value of data (e.g. drive changes to have access to required metadata to maximize impact of DQ, quantify the cost/impact of poor data quality).
- Drive data innovation and transformation efforts across the enterprise.
- Own and develop KPI’s and KRI’s for the data function and create dashboard/reporting.
- Leverage general business experience with knowledge to convert high level business objectives into functional and technical requirements, user stories and specifications.
- Facilitate workshops with all the relevant teams including business, technology, compliance and testing organizations to define the business value, KPI trees and drive the initiatives.
- Identify, analyze and interpret trends or patterns in complex data sets.
- Collect and analyze process data to initiate and recommend business practices and procedures that focus on increased productivity and reduced cost.
- Assess and document the structure, quality and compliance of source data, data tracking and tagging.
- Map attributes to source including identification and documentation of transformation algorithms, scoring mechanisms, as necessary.
- Document business, data and technical specifications ensuring documentation is kept up to date and relevant.
- Advise users of business systems on data availability and accuracy.
- Actively participate in the industry externally through internet research, white papers and/or conferences.
- Derive a detailed understanding of the stated business problem and objectives and work with the stakeholder and technical team toward resolution to achieve the objectives.
- Utilize advanced modeling techniques to develop high-level system narratives, presentations, storyboards, use cases and user interface prototypes.
- Perform quantitative & qualitative analysis to help justify the investment necessary to deliver a solution.
- Serve as an active contributor to company-shared knowledge repositories (wikis, blogs, SharePoint, intranet, etc.).
- Negotiate and facilitate to drive consensus on solution scope and objectives.
- Maintain macro-view of key processes, application platforms, business requirements and business functions across the organization.
- Assess existing business processes, people and technology to identify common patterns across functions.
- Provide a structure for evaluating solution options.
- Assess capabilities of the enterprise to understand where changes are needed to meet strategic goals.
Education and/or Experience Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in Information Systems, Computer Science, Business, or related field.
- 5+ years’ experience in identifying and documenting business needs and specifications utilizing business analysis and system design techniques.
Other Required Qualifications
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to effectively communicate across company and department boundaries at all levels.
- Experience in leading business analysis teams and managing implementation projects that utilize big data, advanced analytics and machine learning technologies.
- Ability to cultivate and develop lasting customer relations.
- Hands-on data analysis with in-depth, hands-on knowledge of foundational data architectures such as data warehouses as well as experience in cloud implementations.
- Experience with Big Data, Relational databases, streaming and batch data processing.
- Strong experience building end-to-end data views.
- Ability to effectively present information, interact with and respond to questions from managers, employees, customers and vendors.
- Demonstrated experience in teaching and/or mentoring professionals.
- Execute requests with strong attention to detail and strong time-management skills.
- Passion to evangelize data science, teach others and learn new techniques.
- Strong working knowledge of requirements gathering software support, data mining tools, Microsoft Office applications, as well as CA Clarity and BI tools – ProClarity, Cognos.
- Demonstrated ability to critically evaluate information, identify risks and opportunities, while possessing creative problem-solving skills with an understanding of business concepts and models.
- Proven ability to elicit project and system requirements.
- Proficient negotiation and persuasion skills, with the ability to enable win-win resolutions.
- Proven track record of successfully supporting the needs of project team members and internal stakeholders (locally and virtually).
- Working knowledge of data processing fundamentals including entity relationship diagrams, database models, structured application design and IT infrastructure (networking and hardware).
- Demonstrate influence without authority.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the business, organization and solutions that are the back bone of the organization.
- Ability to adapt to changing conditions, strategies and organizational direction.
- Ability to apply new ideas to resolve existing problems.
- Experience working for consumer or business-facing digital brands.
- Familiarity with cost/benefit and ROI data analysis.
- Industry Certifications (CBAP, Six Sigma).