At Capital One, we’re building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Sr. Data Engineer (AWS, Python, Spark) (Finance Technology)
The Finance Technology team at Capital One is searching for innovative and analytical DATA ENGINEERSto join our team in Richmond, VA and McLean, VA. Our data engineers are multilinguists who can speak the languages of how we operate as a business, how that business impacts our financials, and the latest technologies that are reshaping our Finance Tech landscape.
In this role, you will be responsible for building generic data pipelines & frameworks using open source tools on public Cloud platforms. The right candidate for this role is someone who is passionate about technology, interacts with product owners and technical stakeholders, thrives under pressure, and is hyper-focused on delivering exceptional results with good teamwork skills. Human centered design is the underlying framework for this candidate who will have the opportunity to influence and interact with fellow technologists beyond his team and influence technology partners across the enterprise.
* We are hiring for Principal Associate and Manager level Data Engineers in the McLean/NoVa & Richmond areas. *
The Job & Expectations:
- Partner with product owners, peers, and end-users to understand business requirements
- Be the intersection with lines of business, Finance and technology. The ability to understand various perspectives is critical when optimizing an engineering solution
- Provide technical guidance concerning business implications of application development projects
- Leverage ETL programming skills in open source languages including Python, Scala and SQL on various frameworks especially Apache Spark
- Deploy DevOps techniques and practices like Continuous Integration, Continuous Deployment, Test Automation, Build Automation and Test-Driven Development to enable the rapid delivery of working code utilizing tools like Jenkins, Nexus, Git and Docker
- Manage multiple responsibilities in an unstructured environment where you're empowered to make a difference. In that context, you will be expected to research and develop cutting edge technologies to accomplish your goals
Skills and Experience
- Comfortable interpreting legacy Ab Initio logic which will be re-coded in new open source languages and cloud technologies
- Experience with Cloud computing, preferably AWS and its services including S3, EMR/EC2 and Lambda functions
- 2 years of experience delivering big data solutions using open-source languages such as Python and Scala on Apache Spark framework
- 5 or more years experience working on data projects
- 4 years of work experience in data management engineering
- 3 years of experience in scripting languages (e.g. UNIX shell scripting, perl, etc.)
- Bachelor's Degree or military experience
- At least 1 year of experience developing, deploying, testing in AWS public cloud
- At least 2 year of experience in system analysis
- At least 2 years of experience delivering big data solutions using open-source languages
- At least 3 years of experience in scripting languages
- At least 3 years of experience leveraging SQL for database querying
- 3+ years experience in at least one scripting language
- 5+ years experience developing full stack software solutions
- 3+ years of experience in AWS Cloud computing
- 1+ years of experience in an Agile delivery environment
- AWS certification
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
No agencies please. Capital One is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, physical and mental disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/assignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, protected veteran status, or any other status prohibited by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City’s Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia’s Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at RecruitingAccommodation@capitalone.com. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations.
For technical support or questions about Capital One's recruiting process, please send an email to Careers@capitalone.com
Capital One does not provide, endorse nor guarantee and is not liable for third-party products, services, educational tools or other information available through this site.
Capital One Financial is made up of several different entities. Please note that any position posted in Canada is for Capital One Canada, any position posted in the United Kingdom is for Capital One Europe and any position posted in the Philippines is for Capital One Philippines Service Corp. (COPSSC).