SENIOR DATABASE ADMINISTRATOR - ORACLE
With direction from IT leadership and using independent judgment and discretion, this position evaluates, designs, implements and maintains database applications. This includes involvement with design reviews, systems testing and data modeling on complex projects.
REPORTING STRUCTURE & WORK SETTING
This position typically performs work in a corporate or field location and reports to management positions with responsibility for information technology operations and/or administration.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & PRIMARY ACCOUNTABILITIES
NOTE: The essential duties and primary accountabilities below are intended to describe the general content of and requirements of this position and are not intended to be an exhaustive statement of duties. Incumbents may perform all or most of the primary accountabilities listed below. Specific tasks, responsibilities or competencies may be documented in the incumbent’s performance objectives as outlined by the incumbent’s immediate supervisor or manager.
1. Performs complex database maintenance and design activities, which may require extensive research and analysis. This includes performing design, implementation and maintenance of Microsoft SQL Server/Oracle applications that support the Company’s product offerings and infrastructure systems.
2. Performs SQL Server/Oracle configuration and performance tuning, reviews SQL queries and improves their execution metrics.
3. Provides ongoing support to Development, Test, Stage, User Acceptance Testing (UAT), and other environments. Develop and support SQL Server/Oracle refresh process.
4. Design and implement backend systems with the emphasis on high availability and disaster recoverability, data security and compliance. Hands on experience with running SQL Server/Oracle in virtual environments (VMWare preferred).
5. Ongoing maintenance of multiple databases residing on many SQL Server/Oracle instances.
6. Assists with, builds and supports customer (public) websites as well as back-end applications that enable the organization to deliver high-quality services to customers.
7. Completes requirements analysis, design, development, test and deployment of new application components (SQL packages and procedures, PowerShell or similar scripts).
8. Participates in product design meetings as well as design reviews, system testing and data modeling for complex development projects. Works directly with a technical project manager, web developers, system administrators and product managers. During peak periods of development also works with external consultants and technology partners to support and enhance existing applications.
9. Provides support to the development of user interfaces for these applications as well as coordinate with other engineers to integrate application services.
10. Performs complex bug verification, release testing and beta support for assigned products, researching problems discovered by Quality Assurance (QA) or product support. Develops solutions to the problems.
11. Conducts unit testing and integration testing for functionality and limits.
12. Develops and maintains a comprehensive operating system hardware and software configuration database/library of all supporting documentation.
13. Diagnose, troubleshoot and identify issues causing production outages to web sites, back end processes and financial applications and engineer solutions.
MARGINAL DUTIES & ADDITIONAL FUNCTIONS
1. Performs other duties as assigned or apparent.
ADDITIONAL PERFORMANCE REQUIREMENTS
WageWorks believes that our success is achieved by its People. Values describe how we work together to achieve our success. It is our employees that drive results through living our Company Values. Every employee at WageWorks is expected to uphold and demonstrate the six Company Values listed below as an additional component of the job description and as a standard of individual performance.
CARING People are the heart of our company. We care about people: our Clients, our Client’s employees and their families, our partners, and local communities, and our fellow employees at WageWorks.
CUSTOMER-CENTRIC Our Customer comes first. We aim to serve our Clients and their employees, our brokers and partners, as well as our internal customers.
PASSIONATE We love what we do and are passionate about delivering Consumer-Directed Benefits that save people money and enrich their lives.
ACCOUNTABLE We are dedicated to making our team and the company succeed, and we are open, honest, ethical, and conscientious, as we deliver on our commitments.
LEADING Our actions inspire new ideas and drive change each and every day.
RESPECTFUL We value the diversity of our people, treat them with dignity and respect, encourage their development and reward their performance.
NOTE: WageWorks leadership will strive to uphold the mission, vision, and values of the organization. They will serve as role models for staff and act in a people-centered and results oriented manner with a focus on customer service.
No formal supervisory responsibility entailed.
ESSENTIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
Knowledge of computer science, engineering or information systems or a closely related field as normally obtained through the completion of a Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science in Computer Science, Engineering or Information Systems.
WORK EXPERIENCE OR RELATED EXPERIENCE:
The ability and skill to evaluate, design, implement and maintain complex database applications as described as normally obtained through a minimum 5-7 years of experience in database development with specific experience in SQL Server/Oracle. Experience should include active assistance in the design, development and launch of three or more full life-cycle projects as well as experience with database modeling and design. Experience in PowerShell or similar and Microsoft .Net technology is preferred. Object modeling and design experience is highly desired.
SPECIALIZED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
Knowledge of best practices in the areas of application design, performance, security, scalability and maintainability is also required.
Excellent analytical and design skills at multiple product level. Good skills in research and analysis, project planning and implementation. Excellent understanding of entire development process, including specification, documentation and quality assurance. An awareness of business issues as they impact overall project plans is necessary.
Thorough technical knowledge in database development methodologies, design and implementation and basic database administration skills/experience (procedures for change control, test and production release) is required. Proven success in creatively developing database applications that support business goals is also required.
Excellent teamwork skills and demonstrated ability to collaborate in a positive, productive manner with team development efforts, actively contributing to shared source and source code control. Good communication (both written and oral) and interpersonal skills are required. A strong customer service orientation is essential.
Demonstrated ability to adapt to the changing demands of business is a must.
Proficiency with business and communications software (preferably Word, Excel, PowerPoint, common Windows operating systems, and Outlook) is required.
TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS & CONDITIONS
Infrequent travel may be required.
WORK ENVIRONMENT CONDITIONS & DEMANDS
Work is generally performed in an office environment in which there is only minimal exposure to unpleasant and/or hazardous working conditions.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS & DEMANDS
Work requires normal range of hearing and eyesight. Incumbent must be able to use a telephone or headset equipment and operate a keyboard and other office equipment. The ability to perform work at a computer terminal for 6-8 hours a day and function in an environment with frequent interruptions is required. At times, incumbents are subject to sitting for prolonged periods. Infrequently, incumbent must be able to lift and move material weighing up to 20 lbs. Incumbent may experience elevated levels of stress during periods of increased activity and with work entailing multiple deadlines.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions as described.