Department: Administrative Office
Category : Full time, Exempt
Immediate Supervisor: VP of Finance & Business Operations
Function – Scope Statement:
The Senior Director of Human Resources is responsible for overall operations of the Human Resources Department. Duties include but not limited to leadership, compliance with regulations and laws; HR operations; management of HR staff; employee benefits, employee engagement, and training/learning. The Mission of the Human Resources Department is to provide a customer service environment for all employees guided by the organization’s core values and mission while upholding all laws, regulations, and organizational policies in a fair and consistent manner.
Major Job Tasks and Responsibilities:
1. Execute on strategic plans of the organization and support management to assist in carrying out their responsibilities on human resource matters.
2. Establish and implement policies and procedures for all human resources functions. Accountable for HR operations including but not limited to: compliance with legislation and regulations; investigations; Unemployment claims; hiring process; develop, update, and enforce organizational policies, procedures, and work rules; HR system and employee records; and manage HR staff.
3. Identify and evaluate opportunities to improve human resources policies, procedures and programs to ensure they meet current Organization needs, meet current legislative/regulatory requirements and motivate effective performance of staff.
4. Provide timely and complete reporting of key human resource metrics to Senior Leadership and Board of Directors.
5. Support the recruitment, selection and retention of staff with the qualifications necessary for successful performance, recommending recruitment sources and strategies and assuring the recruitment process and associated records are maintained in compliance with regulatory requirements
6. Accountable for oversight of the benefits administration program.
7. Accountable for oversight of the employee engagement program.
8. Accountable for oversight of training and learning program for new employees.
9. Accountable for reporting incidents and completing documentation within required timeline. Maintain discipline, de-escalate conflict between members and/or others
10. Relationships. Be a positive role model. Maintain emotional control and make good decisions under pressure. Represent the Boys & Girls Club of Greater Houston in a positive manner
1. May be assigned other special projects.
2. Understanding of employee benefits programs.
3. Maintain all HR records, including employee files, unemployment claims, worker compensation, employee benefit files, etc.
4. Attend meetings of Executive Committee, Board of Directors and Finance Committee in an advisory role, as requested.
5. Assist Supervisory personnel as needed with human resource needs.
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in human resources, business or related field. Master’s degree preferred (HR/MBA/MPA).
Senior Professional in Human Resource Certification (SPHR) or SHRM Senior Certified Professional (SHRM-SCP) preferred.
A minimum of five years of progressively responsible work experience managing the human resources function, or equivalent experience.
Strong IT skills, with knowledge of Excel and other Microsoft Office products.
Demonstrated ability to organize, direct and coordinate operations in personnel supervision; the recruitment and retention of human resources staff.
Good communication skills, both verbal and written.
Strong organization and analytical skills, with attention to detail.
Ability to maintain confidentiality at all times.
Ability to prioritize, think critically and effectively.
Ability to work independently with limited supervision.
Ability to interact professionally with Club staff, Board members and other related agencies.
Internal: Communicate with Club staff, administrative staff and Leadership Team.
External: Communicate with Board Members, donors, vendors and general public.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/ WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to fingers, handle, feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; talk or hear; taste or smell. The employee frequently is required to sit. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 30lbs. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
The information presented indicates the general nature of work and level of work expected of employees in this classification. It is not designed to contain, or to be interpreted as, a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, qualifications and objectives required of employees assigned to this job.