The National Market Development and Sales lead is a field-based position with the overall responsibility for building a new hospital focused sales team, pre-approval marketplace analysis and commercial readiness for a series of human blood derived bleeding control medications in Cerus’ pipeline.
Cerus, a world leader in blood safety, is expanding our product offering to include hemostasis management. As a leader within the commercial organization, reporting into our head of Global Therapeutics, you will have input in and exposure to; our brand and marketing vision, business strategies, launch and lifecycle plans, and critical market insights that drive our business forward.
Qualified candidates will have a track record of driving commitment and accountability of a sales team to exceed goals.
Additionally, they are highly motivated, interactive, and creative. Possess substantial experience in sales, sales team leadership, as well as pre-market readiness for new drugs or biologics including; opportunity assessment, competitive analysis, hospital sales cycle planning and pricing analysis.
Candidates should have a proven track record of calling on various functions and departments within hospitals such as; clinicians, blood banks (or laboratories), purchasing, and C-Suites. They will be strategic, a strong communicator; verbally, in writing and through use of presentations.
Candidates with an extensive network of hospital connections within; CV surgery, trauma, high risk obstetrics and/or solid organ transplant are preferred.
- Experience with bleeding control, hemostasis, surgical or trauma portfolio sales preferred
- Ability to develop short-term (3 to 6 months) and long-term (2 to 3 yr) strategic sales plans
- Strong business and financial acumen: ability to manage contracts and solutions as a win-win for both the customer and Cerus
- Healthcare knowledge on trends and influences for our customer base
- Ability to demonstrate critical thinking and how to tailor solutions to meet customer-specific needs
- Strong people management and people development capabilities (holding people accountable and being a player-coach)
- High sense of urgency and fast-paced mover.
- Ability to manage and lead change
- Ability to be collaborative and provide appropriate levels of influencing to ensure our customers come first
- Management of sales activity and tracking of key sales actions (Funnel management, sales processes, coverage on critical accounts, compliance topics, etc.)
- Strong leadership with creates followership and development of succession planning within area of responsibilities
Knowledge and skills:
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in applicable field.
- MBA preferred
- 10+ years clinical sales experience (pharmaceutical, biologic or blood derivative), 7 or more of which are hospital based sales focused
- Experience leading pre-market preparation endeavors, including the successful launch of product(s)
- Proven track record of accurately assessing opportunity pre approval and consistently meeting sales numbers of approved products
- Ability to apply critical/strategic thinking to each opportunity required
- Experience in managing GPOs, alliances, and negotiating licensing and collaboration agreements required
- Ability to understand and explain clinical concepts as a portion of the market development and eventual sales process
- Work independently and collaboratively to identify new business opportunities for the organization from industry knowledge, personal research, interactions with marketing and business intelligence tools.
- Actively prospect for potential new business opportunities by cold calling and networking at industry related events in region
- Manage sales team
- Manage sales cycle
- Manage Request for Proposals (RFPs)
- Manage GPO and health care system relationships
- Assess likelihood of adoption of Cerus’ product offerings and timelines from FDA product approval to hospital adoption
- Develop sales plan to grow Cerus’ customer base and achieve yearly goals
- Establish or maintain regular face to face meetings with both new and existing key contacts
- Effectively deliver value proposition and key differentiators of Cerus’ products to customers
- Update information involving activities, opportunities, accounts and contacts within CRM database
- Prepare update reports for business development activities and pipeline growth
- Represent Cerus at events/ conferences