Emergent BioSolutions (NYSE: EBS), headquartered in Gaithersburg, Maryland, is a global life sciences company that provides a diverse portfolio of specialty products and services that address public health threats. The company develops, manufactures, and commercializes medical countermeasures (MCM) against chemical and biological, (CBRN) threats, as well as explosive-related threats and existing and emerging infectious diseases (EID). In 2018, the company diversified the scope of its public health threat mandate significantly by acquiring Adapt Pharma, the maker of NARCAN® Nasal Spray for opioid overdose reversal, and PaxVax, the maker of Vivotif® and Vaxchora®, which are marketed travelers vaccines for typhoid and cholera, as well as a number of R&D programs at various stages of development.
Emergent BioSolutions continues to drive innovation and achieve significant growth YOY—growing from a company with only one product and less than $300M in revenue in 2012 to a broader base with 10 products that are now marketed or procured globally. The company is on target to exceed $1B revenues for 2019, one year ahead of plan, while advancing the founding mission to protect and enhance life. The company operates through four business units:
* CONTRACT DEVELOPMENT & MANUFACTURING
* JOB SUMMARY
The Senior Director of Public Affairs leads our ongoing efforts to develop and execute strategies that advocate Emergent's broad public agenda and shape a more favorable environment for our business. S/he will manage our Public Affairs team, reporting to the SVP, Global Communications & Public Affairs, and working closely with the Global Government Affairs team.
This position will be responsible for creating and overseeing external efforts to shape public opinion in support of the company's policy and legislative priorities at the federal, state, and international level. S/he will also ensure the company is proactively managing key issues and will play a leadership role in crisis management.
The Senior Director of Public Affairs will also oversee the company's corporate social responsibility programs and ensure that it aligns with and advances Emergent's corporate mission and strategy, builds shared value with core stakeholders, and increases both internal and external engagement in the company's social programs.
S/he will oversee the effort to create alliances and build credibility on behalf of the company with key organizations in Washington, DC, targeted states, and in critical markets around the world, as well as with third-party organizations, patient groups, business groups, civic organizations, NGOs, think tanks, and others as required by our business and public policy goals.
* ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
* Create comprehensive public affairs strategies and sophisticated advocacy capability on complex subjects in support of the company's business priorities
* Build relationships and alliances with influencers and organizations—both non-partisan and across the political spectrum—that can help advance the company's mission
* Evolve our corporate social responsibility platforms to align with our company's mission and increase engagement
* Ensure a proactive issues management mindset at the enterprise level and across the business units
* Maintain strong awareness of relevant public policy debates and media trends, and align public affairs programs accordingly
* Draft compelling narrative to communicate about and advocate for company priorities to key stakeholders
* Lead crisis management and serve as a company spokesperson as needed
* Lead, mentor, coach and engage team members.
* Effectively coordinate activities with internal Government Affairs and Media Relations teams and external public affairs consultants
The above statements are intended to describe the nature of work performed by those in this job and are not an exhaustive list of all duties. Nothing in this job description restricts managements right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time which reflects management's assignment of essential functions.
III. MINIMUM EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, SKILLS
* At least 15 years of experience as a political campaign manager and/or as a public affairs/communications executive at a corporation, trade association or agency
* Highly refined written and oral communications skills
* Deep understanding of the connection points between business and public policy
* Fluent in multi-channel campaigns including social, digital, earned and paid media
* Understanding of how to leverage quantitative and qualitative research to inform decision making
* Political campaign, Capitol Hill and/or Executive agency experience a plus
* Collaborative style at ease in a fast-paced, matrixed environment
* Experience building relationships in DC with key organizations
* Experience as an on-the-record spokesperson with media
* Bachelor's degree required
* PHYSICAL/MENTAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT CHARACTERISTICS
The physical/mental demands are representative of those that must be met by an individual to successfully perform the essential functions of the job.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an individual would encounter while performing the essential functions of the job.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Physical/Mental Demands and Work Environment Characteristics:
☒ Ability to organize/coordinate ☒Comprehend and follow instructions
☒ Direct, control and plan ☒ Independently make quick decisions to solve complex issues
☒Problem Solve ☒ Analyze/Interpret data and information
☒ Perform with frequent interruptions ☒ Make decisions using sound judgment
☒ Supervise/Manage others
☐ Good eye/hand coordination ☐ Visual Acuity
☒Use keyboard/computer/phone☐ Detect/Distinguish smell
☐ Detect/Distinguish hearing ☐ Maintain stationary position
☐ Position self to move ☐Move/Traverse
☐ Ascend/Descend (climb) ☐ Reaching
☐ Calibrate precise ☐ Ability to safely operate hand tools
☒ Move/Transport 10 lb. ☐ Repetitive movement activities
☒Regular and predictable attendance
☐ Work around extreme temperatures - cold or hot
☐ Work around noise above conversation level
☐ Work in restricted access to laboratory area
☐ Exposure to dust/gas/fumes/steam/chemicals
☐ Work with Select Agents as defined by the CDC
☒ Work irregular hours that often include nights and weekends
☒ Work in multiple locations
Approximately 10% to 20%. May include international travel.
Public Affairs Director