Southern California-based Karma is more than just a car company. Although we are best known as a creator of soul-stirring luxury electric vehicles, Karma has emerged as a high-tech incubator offering innovators a perfect platform to prove their emerging technologies. Every Revero is designed at our Headquarters in Irvine and created with great individual care and world-class craftsmanship at the Karma Innovation and Customization Center in Moreno Valley, CA.
The Sr. Engineer – Brake Systems is the Design Release Engineer for Brake Systems.
- Create and maintain technical specifications for foundation brake components, including calipers, rotors, bearings, and dust shields.
- Create and maintain technical specifications for parking brake components, brake pedal, and actuation cables.
- Lead regular reviews with suppliers to achieve program goals, including component and system DVP&R.
- Support sourcing for components, including brake calipers and rotors, to meet production, cost, and timing goals.
- Define and achieve competitive NVH (noise, vibration and harshness) performance targets - working with foundation brake supplier, including CAE and objective testing organizations.
- Define all remaining foundation brake targets and attributes to meet world class performance standards.
- Achieve stopping distance, pedal feel, brake balance, and parking brake targets.
- Meet lining life, noise, fade, and serviceability targets.
- Conduct and/or lead testing at each build milestone to support achievement of system targets.
- Achieve PPAP of responsible components and coordinate required validation testing materials and resources.
- Other deliverables as defined by supervisor.
- Interface with staff in:
- Engineering, including Vehicle Integration department
- Component and Engineering Service Suppliers
- Engineer brake systems and components for current program and all-new brake system for future programs.
- Manage suppliers proactively, with focused program management mind-set. Lead project from start to finish.
- Meet all performance, cost, timing, and packaging targets.
- Perform all Design Release Engineer (DRE) tasks for foundation brake components, including release process, component drawings, and other supporting documentation, through verification, validation, and certification.
- Serve as primary contact to all foundation brake component suppliers.
- Select and coordinate friction material testing and validation, including noise countermeasures.
- Ensure system meets certification requirements for FMVSS and ECE. Support with data & testing as required.
- Support prototype and production assembly events at domestic or international locations.
- Other duties, as assigned.
- BS in Mechanical Engineering.
- 5+ years experience with automotive chassis components.
- Recent university graduates considered.
- Based in Orange County, CA.
- Approximately 10% travel required to domestic and international locations.
- Fluent in English.
- Strong automotive interest and aptitude.
- Familiarity with DFMEA and problem solving techniques (RedX, 80, etc.) Design & release process experience.
- Demonstrated teamwork mindset and positive attitude; able to handle stressful situations with composure.
- Basic knowledge of Quality Management Systems (ISO 9001:2015) and Environmental Management Systems (ISO 14001:2015), as applicable.
No 3rd Parties. Principals Only, Please
Come and join the great Karma Team, where you can make a career! Karma Automotive offers a complete benefits package including medical, dental, vision, life, STD, LTD; paid vacation, holidays and personal days; and a 401K with matching contributions.
Karma Automotive LLC is an equal employment opportunity (EEO) employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, gender identity and expression, color, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy or related conditions (including breastfeeding), national origin/ancestry, religion, military/veteran status, genetic information, citizenship status or any other characteristic and group protected by applicable law. Karma Automotive LLC complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act to ensure equal access to all qualified individuals with a physical or mental disability. Valid driver’s license may be required based on essential duties.