Microchip Technology Inc. is a leading provider of embedded control applications. Our product portfolio comprises general purpose and specialized 8-bit, 16-bit, and 32-bit microcontrollers, 32-bit microprocessors, field-programmable gate array (FPGA) products, a broad spectrum of high-performance linear, mixed-signal, power management, thermal management, radio frequency (RF), timing, safety, security, wired connectivity and wireless connectivity devices, as well as serial Electrically Erasable Programmable Read Only Memory (EEPROM), Serial Flash memories, Parallel Flash memories, and serial Static Random Access Memory (SRAM). We also license Flash-IP solutions that are incorporated in a broad range of products.
Enter Job Description
This position for a Package Development Engineer will entail all aspects of IC package development from initial design and performance considerations to package design optimization, determining design rules, selecting and completing package qualification, interface with subcon and internal assembly and reliability resources, and final release to production. The primary business unit requires packaging in power FET packaging, Cu Clip, Cu Pillar Bump, and other leadframe based advanced packages, but may also entail wafer level packaging and potentially laminate package support as well. Responsibilities include the following:
- Identify suitable IC package options and perform feasibility studies for all NPI (new product introduction), provide direct interface with multiple assembly sites as well as die design groups, product engineering, marketing and business units
- Oversee evaluation and development of new packaging materials and processes
- Manage qualification of new packages or changes to ensure quality and mitigate risk
- Initiate and follow up on assembly build instructions for all engineering builds in U.S. and Asia
- Assist with global cost reduction, standardization and new system implementation projects
- 5+ years of experience
- Ability to comprehend engineering drawings
- Experience with advanced laminate (BGA) and QFN package design and assembly
- Well-developed knowledge of thermal & electrical simulations
- Superior communication and presentation skills
- Ability to problem solve and assist the reliability group on FA’s on assembly related failures
- Ability to carry on multiple projects, set time-lines and prioritize projects
- Travel to Asia occasionally to attend technology reviews and resolve subcon issues
- Competence in working with multiple databases, technical acronyms and complex data sets
Equal Opportunity EmployerMicrochip is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer of Disabled / Veterans / Minorities / Women. We provide equal employment and affirmative action opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other basis protected under applicable federal, state or local laws.
For more information on applicable equal employment regulations, please refer to the EEO is the Law Poster and the EEO is the Law Poster Supplement. Please also refer to the Pay Transparency Policy Statement.