Microchip Technology Inc. is a leading provider of embedded control applications. Our product portfolio comprises general purpose and specialized 8-bit, 16-bit, and 32-bit microcontrollers, 32-bit microprocessors, field-programmable gate array (FPGA) products, a broad spectrum of high-performance linear, mixed-signal, power management, thermal management, radio frequency (RF), timing, safety, security, wired connectivity and wireless connectivity devices, as well as serial Electrically Erasable Programmable Read Only Memory (EEPROM), Serial Flash memories, Parallel Flash memories, and serial Static Random Access Memory (SRAM). We also license Flash-IP solutions that are incorporated in a broad range of products.
Microchip offers one of the industry's most comprehensive power and RF/microwave discrete semiconductor product portfolios. Markets served by the discrete BU include: automotive, alternative energy, industrial, medical, defense, commercial aviation, communications, embedded systems, motor control, power solutions, sensors, and security.
Microchip’s power discrete business is rapidly expanding due to the wide bandgap revolution happening today. The device engineer will be responsible for developing and sustaining discrete power semiconductor products on SiC and Silicon. The successful candidate should be able to conceive a new design based on specifications received from end users of new product lines. This position requires frequent interfacing with marketing and as well as with various process engineering and assembly/packaging groups. The person must be a self-starter and perform diverse tasks ranging from design and simulation to failure analysis as is typical in a lean company environment.
The candidate would have a tremendous opportunity to contribute in a fast-paced semiconductor company in the midst of multiple product launches. The individual is expected to have excellent communication skills including writing technical reports and publications. They would also need to collaborate with multiple groups within and outside the BU to deliver timely results. The candidate should be a hands-on technical lead willing to work in the lab and direct technicians as needed.
The position is based in Chandler AZ.
-An MS in EE/Physics plus 6.5+ years of experience in design, fabrication, and characterization of power semiconductors such as power MOSFETs, IGBTs, Schottky and PiN diodes etc.
- Alternatively, the candidate could be a PhD in EE/solid-state physics with 0-2+ years of experience in the above areas.
- Proficiency in TCAD tools (Synopsys/Silvaco or similar) and layout design.
- Experience in data analysis and trouble-shooting device issues during technology development.
- Skills in designing and analyzing DOEs.
- Hands-on experience with advanced electrical characterization tools such as B1500, HP4156, LCR meter etc.
- Experience in developing technology in foundries or off-site fabs.
- Ability to work in a culturally and generationally diverse team.
- Excellent communication skills including report writing, and presentation skills are a must.
- Experience participating in full product development life cycles – from drafting specifications to completing qualification and product release, especially geared towards high volume production.
- Experience in Si discrete power semiconductor design in the 25V-200V range.
- Experience in wide bandgap – SiC (silicon carbide) and GaN (gallium nitride) would be a big plus.
- In-depth knowledge of process steps required to make power semiconductors (implant, oxidation, deposition, etch, and metallization) preferred.
- Knowledge and understanding of the interaction of the power semiconductor die with discrete packages or power modules is a plus.
Equal Opportunity EmployerMicrochip is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer of Disabled / Veterans / Minorities / Women. We provide equal employment and affirmative action opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other basis protected under applicable federal, state or local laws.
For more information on applicable equal employment regulations, please refer to the EEO is the Law Poster and the EEO is the Law Poster Supplement. Please also refer to the Pay Transparency Policy Statement.